Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westjet to MEX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Westjet to MEX?

Given the new agreement signed by Canada and Mexico this week, I'm curious on what WestJet's plans might be.

We already have Air Canada's reaction. But I can't find a press release from WestJet.

Will we get to see WestJet fly YYC to MEX?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:19 pm

I think WS carries a lot of tourists to various seaside communities in Mexico, like Cancun and Puerto Vallarta, but I don't know what the tourist draw to Mexico City would be. Can someone enlighten me?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:47 pm

I think WestJet will leave Mexico City for Air Canada and AeroMexico to fight over.

I think WestJet will use the rule to add a bunch of new non stop routes to existing markets, like Toronto-PVR, Toronto-Ixtapa and Toronto-Cabo, maybe add Huatulco to the network, and now be able to connect the dots much more freely than before.

Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:52 pm

They already fly YYZ-PVR.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
They already fly YYZ-PVR.
You are right! They fly it 1x a week. That might change with the new rules.

Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Am certainly hoping for YYC-MEX, though I wonder if Westjet will go beyond its focus on beach resorts only in Mexico and the Caribbean.

Mexico City is the biggest city in the Americas, a cosmopolitan city with everything that you'd expect in a major world capital. Aside from the leisure market, MEX is arguably the most important business center in Latin America, so I have to think there's a market for the route. Westjet may not offer business class, but a non-stop flight is more convenient than connecting via IAH or DFW.

On a related note, Mexican president Peña Nieto is scheduled to visit Calgary in June, to attend the petroleum show. Good timing for an announcement of new non-stop flights!
Old May 9, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by YYCguy
I think WS carries a lot of tourists to various seaside communities in Mexico, like Cancun and Puerto Vallarta, but I don't know what the tourist draw to Mexico City would be. Can someone enlighten me?
MEX is an amazing, cosmopolitan city, but it attracts extremely few tourists because it doesn't have a beach and because of an (exaggerated) reputation for being dangerous.

Let's be real - most of the tourists who go to Mexico don't go for the culture; they go to drink margaritas by a beach and prefer to minimize their contact with authentic Mexico and its inhabitants.

Given that WS is focused on leisure travel, why would it open up this market? It's not like there's a huge Mexican population in Calgary, either.
Old May 9, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
What changes are there? AM used to fly daily, IIRC, to YUL and YVR until late 2009 when the flights were cut (completely) due to visa rules.

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
MEX is an amazing, cosmopolitan city, but it attracts extremely few tourists because it doesn't have a beach and because of an (exaggerated) reputation for being dangerous.
+1. Must be the only Canadian who has never been to any resort in Mexico but has been to Mexico City (and even took public bus and subway to get to and from Teotihuacan!)

Let's be real - most of the tourists who go to Mexico don't go for the culture; they go to drink margaritas by a beach and prefer to minimize their contact with authentic Mexico and its inhabitants.
+1
Old May 9, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
What changes are there? AM used to fly daily, IIRC, to YUL and YVR until late 2009 when the flights were cut (completely) due to visa rules.

+1
The now extinct Mexicana de Aviación did fly between MEX and YVR, YYC, and even YEG (albeit briefly), before it went out of business in August 2010.
Old May 10, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
The now extinct Mexicana de Aviación did fly between MEX and YVR, YYC, and even YEG (albeit briefly), before it went out of business in August 2010.
Not to mention JL's long-running YVR-MEX 5th freedom that was given up (for financial reasons) so that MX could operate that leg on a codeshare, before both went bankrupt.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:47 pm

Nice civilized times of the day......

WestJet adds Vancouver – Mexico City from Mar 2018

WestJet yesterday announced the launch of new service to Mexico from Western Canada, which sees the introduction of Vancouver – Mexico City service. From 14MAR18, Boeing 737-700 aircraft will operate this route 3 times a week.

WS2026 YVR0830 – 1440MEX 73W 246
WS2027 MEX1545 – 2030YVR 73W 135
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AA
Originally Posted by tracon

WS2026 YVR0830 – 1440MEX 73W 246
WS2027 MEX1545 – 2030YVR 73W 135
So to where does this aircraft turn after arriving in MEX? YYC?

I can't imagine it sitting there in MEX for 25 hours.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by rnsn
So to where does this aircraft turn after arriving in MEX? YYC?

I can't imagine it sitting there in MEX for 25 hours.
It won’t sit there that’s for sure. Probably return to YVR.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:11 pm

YYC-MEX added.

WestJet from March 2018 is adding Calgary – Mexico City route, initially operating 4 times a week from 14MAR18. Boeing 737-700 is scheduled to operate this route.

WS2200 YYC0940 – 1444MEX 73W x246
WS2215 MEX1545 – 2122YYC 73W x135

From 29APR18, service will expand to daily operation. In yesterday’s report on Airlineroute, WestJet is also launching Vancouver – Mexico City service from 14MAR18. Flights to/from Vancouver will also increase to daily from 29APR18. The flight increase was not mentioned in yesterday’s report.

Bolding mine.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Yes!! We are taking our first MXC trip in a few weeks on the AeroMexico flight. These are much better flight times!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.