Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Off Site PHX Car Rental?" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Why is this important? I rented at 44th and Thomas and dropped at PHX (no-charge).
Who did you rent with? Enterprise (at least in Tempe) seems to charge $25 to return to the airport.
Old May 20, 2009, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
Who did you rent with? Enterprise (at least in Tempe) seems to charge $25 to return to the airport.
LINK
Old May 20, 2009, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
So you're talking Avis?

The reason to rent from Enterprise (or Avis, for that matter) is that they would be cheaper than the other. I suspect it will vary from day to day. Enterprise is about $20/day + (modest) taxes.
Old May 20, 2009, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
For clarification, I am using Avis at 44th and Thomas (Arcadia Mall) on the 44 bus line. Many rental locations are closed on Sunday and have more limited hours on some days -- so when flying in one needs to be aware of timing, incl. time to get to rental car office.

Avis allows return to PHX rental car hub at no charge. Enterprise may need to drive you back (be sure they will in advance) and could be delays if they are very busy. Of course, rates at all companies change with the wind.

sonofzeus - How did you get from airport to 44th / Thomas location?
Old May 20, 2009, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
For clarification, I am using Avis at 44th and Thomas (Arcadia Mall) on the 44 bus line. Many rental locations are closed on Sunday and have more limited hours on some days -- so when flying in one needs to be aware of timing, incl. time to get to rental car office.

Avis allows return to PHX rental car hub at no charge. Enterprise may need to drive you back (be sure they will in advance) and could be delays if they are very busy. Of course, rates at all companies change with the wind.

sonofzeus - How did you get from airport to 44th / Thomas location?
hailed a cab at PHX, loaded my SO and luggage, paid 16USD.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Is this in the supermarket there?

FYI, that is a very busy corner...a supermarket, Target, Costco, etc. Even if you're returning to the airport, that may be pretty cheap gas for a last fill-up.

Also, no I won't be in the office on Sun Jul 5....and I live out in Chandler so it is a haul to come into town on weekends. But let me know if you run into any issues. I do know that bus service can be a bit limited on weekends, and at that time of year, it could be a little warm to be waiting for a bus. You may be able to take the light rail shuttle, then cross to the Crown Plaza and somehow convince them to shuttle you up...
Old May 20, 2009, 10:25 pm

gegorygrady, Thanks for ideas and suggestions. I thought I had checked Hilton and they do not actually carry cars on site -- but maybe Awhatukee comes up for pick ups? Many Hertz HLE locations are not open Sundays.
No, they do not carry cars at the Hilton HLE, rather the Awhatukee HLE comes and picks you up, but the Awhatukee HLE is open until 4PM on Sundays........................not sure if the hours are different for July 4th weekend though.........
Old May 20, 2009, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Is this in the supermarket there?

FYI, that is a very busy corner...a supermarket, Target, Costco, etc. Even if you're returning to the airport, that may be pretty cheap gas for a last fill-up.
It was mentioned earlier that it's in the Sears Auto Center there, which is on the East side of 44th St maybe 1/8th miles S of Thomas, near the Costco............
Old May 20, 2009, 10:52 pm
Suspended

sorry to bud in, but be very careful if depending on a Hotel Shuttle. Did this at FLL and waited and waited and waited. Turns out they only come if you call them when you arrive and they want to know your res #

I jumped on different ones on different ocassions and each time the driver got a what for since he left w/o getting someone. Guess they thought I was the person who called. They did have the correct head count just not the correct heads

TY at FLL has a Local office near the Port and picks up at the Hotels around FLL, with a free drop off at FLL. saved me $$ off the rentals
Old May 20, 2009, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
TY at FLL has a Local office near the Port and picks up at the Hotels around FLL, with a free drop off at FLL. saved me $$ off the rentals
Yeah, I had to go off airport for a car at FLL last year, but not because of the taxes. It was around X-mas, and the on-airport rates were twice those of off-airport. There was a Budget office less than 5 minutes from the airport in a shopping center (there was also a hotel next to it, but I can't remember the name -- I had a friend drive me over).

They are charging a significant tax for the new FLL car rental garage, but at least you can walk to your car. That's worth something, and kind of a trend in the East. Out West, though -- like in PHX -- they've built these huge garages a few miles from the terminal. I guess it seems like a good idea to the airport planners -- and who cares about the folks who fly in? That's pretty much the problem in PHX.
Old May 23, 2009, 12:02 pm

Too many cars to have at PHX terminal. And need central off site location so they can have fewer Shuttle buses and more frequent service. I say, usually, less than 3 min wait to get a bus at terminal. BUT why did they build the off site rental terminal so far away? They could have put another multi level garage in East Side parking.

I agree, the walk to your car and drive away is great -- but rare in major cities. In some places, cars are only 50 yds. from baggage claim!!
Old May 23, 2009, 12:24 pm

I may try doing the shuttle to Hilton PHX and then have Ahwatukee Hertz pick me up there. I checked with Hilton to see and said one needs to call for pick up (otherwise may be a long wait I suppose, esp. arriving on 5 July Sun). But if I recall, there are some other hotel in the complex, so I could wait for first one -- does anyone know names of the other hotels??

I guess I could call, but could get "iffY" if I am only one on shuttle and not checking in. Unless they have a deal with Hertz Awhatukee that they will shuttel people to hotel for Hertz to pick up. But if 3-4 hotels, likely one will drive by within 15 min and I could hop on.

Last edited by SAPMAN; Jun 10, 2009 at 9:44 am Reason: correction
Old Jun 13, 2009, 2:45 am

I may try doing the shuttle to Hilton PHX and then have Ahwatukee Hertz pick me up there. I checked with Hilton to see and said one needs to call for pick up (otherwise may be a long wait I suppose, esp. arriving on 5 July Sun). But if I recall, there are some other hotel in the complex, so I could wait for first one -- does anyone know names of the other hotels??
I guess I could call, but could get "iffY" if I am only one on shuttle and not checking in. Unless they have a deal with Hertz Awhatukee that they will shuttel people to hotel for Hertz to pick up. But if 3-4 hotels, likely one will drive by within 15 min and I could hop on.
The other hotels in this same complex (in order of closest to Hilton) are:
1) Sleep Inn
2) Courtyard by Marriott
3) Fairfield Inn
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
The other hotels in this same complex (in order of closest to Hilton) are:
1) Sleep Inn
2) Courtyard by Marriott
3) Fairfield Inn
Thanks GG. I need to finalize my plan as I will be there on 5 July. I still think I may try the Metro shuttle / bus to the 44th St. location. Or as someone suggested, get a cab once I get to where the shuttle drops me off, depending on how long before next scheduled bus. (I need to print off bus schedules from their web site as Sun is reduced service.)

While flying in, I will try to talk to seatmates on board as sometimes I can get one to offer to drop me off if they are going in that general direction and have a car.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by gregorygrady
It was mentioned earlier that it's in the Sears Auto Center there, which is on the East side of 44th St maybe 1/8th miles S of Thomas, near the Costco............
I know where it is. It is on right side where you can get in the car from south. Just stay on it by 44th St all the way north near Thomas Rd. I am acknowledgement very good direction how exactly they can get there. It was just so easy to get there. I usually rode on the city bus all of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.