Shaded parking at TUS

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Shaded parking at TUS

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/index.p...airportparking

A small number of long-term parking spaces will sport canopies to protect cars from searing summer sun.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:57 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
FYI... This is at the Tucson Airport, and not Sky Harbor.

Bob
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am flying into TUS for the first time ever later this week so I went to the airport's website to find out if they had free WiFi and happened to notice a page there about their project to use solar panels to create shade for parking spaces. https://www.flytucson.com/articles/t...ic-pv-project/ This is an excellent example of killing two birds with one stone. ^

The remaining spaces in the parking lots in front of the passenger terminal at Tucson International Airport will be covered with solar canopy structures under a contract with Sturgeon Electric, Inc. that was approved by the Tucson Airport Authority Board of Directors at its meeting on March 2, 2016.

Phase II of the Solar Photovoltaic (PV) Project will cover more than 600 spaces in the Hourly and Daily lots, completing what was started in Phase I which covered 760 spaces in the Daily lot and was completed in late 2014. Construction of Phase II is expected to begin in June/July 2016 and be completed in about 12 months.

The main components of the solar canopy structure include an open metal canopy supported by metal columns with photovoltaic (PV) panels on top of the canopy. It also includes electrical infrastructure to facilitate direct connection to the terminal’s central plant power system. Phase II is anticipated to produce 1.74 MW of energy. Construction is expected to begin later this year.

“This project delivers on TAA’s commitment to a sustainable environment and as a side benefit, provides additional shaded, covered parking for our customers in the hourly and daily spots,” TAA CEO/President Bonnie Allin said. “Phase I has reduced our purchased electricity usage in the terminal by approximately 34 percent and when Phase II is completed, we anticipate usage being reduced 68-70 percent.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
A win-win situation.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
If they make sure that there's a light breezer under the panel, it would be pretty much perfect. I hate roofed parking structures in the summer, where the heat from the engines can't escape...
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by WorldLux
If they make sure that there's a light breezer under the panel, it would be pretty much perfect. I hate roofed parking structures in the summer, where the heat from the engines can't escape...
Maybe that's why covered parking in Texas (at least in Houston and Dallas) offer carport type roof with it covering area above the two head to head cars from front of the row all the way to the back.

But it didn't do much in the evening when I got back from the airport and the sun was shining directly at the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.