Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opportunity to reolcate to Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I say go for it. Being the restless sort, I've lived dozens of places .... And never got stuck somewhere I no longer wanted to live. It's a perfect size for me; big enough to offer a little of everything without too much congestion. The weather would be a dealbreaker as far as I'm concerned, however, so know before you go, if you can handle the winters (or one of them before you change your mind).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by enviroian
Are you married or single?

I could do some recon on match of the greater Sioux Falls area if you'd like.
He'll do it whether you like it or not.
hhdl likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by LemonThrower
I worry about the climate and the isolation.
Climate? My undergrad (in Chicago) was full of California transplants, including my freshman roommate who had never used an umbrella, never seen snow fall, and never experienced a temperature below 50 degrees. He lived a productive undergrad life and is now in med school -- still in Chicago!

Isolation? Sioux Falls has TV, Internet, and 4G LTE. The rest is up to you. Shut-ins feel isolated even in Manhattan.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redheadtempe33
Sans bad weather, most everything in Sioux Falls is within 10 minutes driving time. Walgreens, Hy-Vee, Walmart, movie theaters, etc. As I said, it really is the same as Atlanta, just on a much smaller scale.
Ikea? Whole Foods? Trader Joes? Forever 21?

(I know these Millennials...I'm hip...I'm cool...)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by DenverBrian

Sioux Falls has natural food co-ops. And, most major supermarket stores now include organic options. Even Walmart has many organic options across their stores now.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thelark
"Minneapolis is 230 miles away"

That's supposed to be a selling point?
^

OP - never confuse having a career with having a life. Choose wisely.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Yeah, there's farms. You get it from a farm.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Assuming you don't have school aged kids...do it! Life is a collection of experiences. You might love it and you might hate it but in any event you will be better for it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by exerda
If it were the other end of the state (e.g. Rapid City), at least you'd have Badlands, Custer, the Black Hills, etc. assuming you like nature. As it is, Sioux Falls is nowhere I'd personally want to live...
Don't forget Wall Drug That general part of the country is known for being richer than most in job opportunities because the weather scares people away, especially the winters.

Heck, I've had to redeem miles for my trips there (RAP and FAR starting points) because paid tickets weren't reasonable, and for the longest time it was also hard to get an unlimited-mileage rental car (which is why FAR got picked over BIS).

The Internet has done much as far as the isolation factor goes, and Amazon and eBay get more than their share of orders from that part of the country. OTOH, things like concert tours might only get as close as MSP, if that (OMA only if lucky), and pro sports are similarly far. But the area is known for having some of the best fitness because people are eager to get outside after the winter and because schools are small enough that a greater % of students are needed to participate in team sports, whereas in Atlanta and elsewhere you've got 1,000-student schools where people know they're not varsity team material by 8th grade.

Tom Brokaw also was from that state, and they still make fun of him tripping over L sounds on the Stepahnie Miller show (e.g. Vili Faalau).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andyh64000
Assuming you don't have school aged kids...do it! Life is a collection of experiences. You might love it and you might hate it but in any event you will be better for it.
Forest Gump called. He wants his box of chocolates back.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EROS Data Center

It's not what it sounds like! I'm talking about the U.S. Geological Survey's Earth Resources Observation and Science Center (EROS). This is where the bulk of LANDSAT imagery is analyzed and stored. There are many world-class scientists who work there and have spent the bulk of their careers in Sioux Falls.

Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) Center is a remotely sensed data management, systems development, and research field center for the U.S. Geological Survey's(USGS) (link is external) Climate and Land Use Change Mission Area (link is external). The USGS is a bureau of the U.S. Department of the Interior. EROS opened in the early 1970's with a handful of employees and the largest mainframe computer in the State of South Dakota. It currently houses one of the largest computer complexes in the Department of the Interior. EROS has approximately 600 government and contractor employees.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:46 am

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Jun 5, 2015 at 2:18 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I would personally prefer it over Atlanta. Would be an easy decision. But I don't know how attached you are/were to Atlanta...

I've spent a grand total of 12 hours there. Roadtrip through, overnight at a Marriott, onward in the morning towards northern MN. (Their Marriotts are all low categories! Yay! ) Seems like a pleasant enough place in the scope of smallish upper Midwestern towns. The drive made me want to go back and turn west for a proper South Dakota roadtrip. One of these days...

I would think your overall quality of life could significantly improve, especially if you like the outdoors. I'm not sure how much "mainline" service SUX really gets: if you travel a ton for work, you would certainly be adding a lot of connections to your life instead of nonstop DL flights everywhere from ATL. On the plus side, if you are deeply in bed with DL, I'm guessing that MSP would be your logical connecting point to most of the rest of the world.

If I had an opportunity to move to another decent-sized city with a large airport, St. Paul would be right at the top of my list. Although you're 230 miles away from the Twin Cities, it is indeed a fantastic place to spend a weekend (or longer).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm not sure how much "mainline" service SUX really gets.
And that's irrelevant, since this is FSD, not SUX. @:-)

FSD shows about 15 departures a day on the big three - UA, DL, and AA - plus a single F9 departure. Connections to ORD, MSP, DEN and DFW. Almost all regional jets.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
And that's irrelevant, since this is FSD, not SUX. @:-)

FSD shows about 15 departures a day on the big three - UA, DL, and AA - plus a single F9 departure. Connections to ORD, MSP, DEN and DFW. Almost all regional jets.
So...maybe 2-3 mainline flights a day, total? One to Denver on F9 and (from a brief search) two to MSP on DL?

It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, but I can see where someone coming from one of the largest megahubs of all might take some time getting used to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.