Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best winter stopover for Grand Junction, CO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

best winter stopover for Grand Junction, CO

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I'm going to have to be flying in to Grand Junction in the winter. As far as I know, there are 5 airports I can transfer into it: PHX (US Air), DEN (UA), DFW (AA), IAH (UA), SLC (DL) (technically there is LAS via Allegiant as well).
I was wondering if anybody who is from the region can tell me which is the best (most reliable) transfer airport.

Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
DEN is an extremely reliable airport, even in winter (my sig notwithstanding!); it's also by far the closest to GJT and has the most frequency to/from GJT. United runs a mix of ER-145s, CRJs and even Q400s on this route. I vote for the ER-145; you can also get that on AA ex-DFW.

I think one more interesting consideration is: Do you have a current preferred airline upon which you've built status?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I know there are the most flights (US has 3 from Phoenix, DFW 2 for AA, DL has 2 from SLC) for United from Denver. Though SLC is about the same distance.

I did some research and DEN isn't ranked highly in terms of timeliness or functionality. And from my experience there just for a few times there are many delays.

I have status on quite a few airlines, so that's not an issue.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Thanks for the reply. I know there are the most flights (US has 3 from Phoenix, DFW 2 for AA, DL has 2 from SLC) for United from Denver. Though SLC is about the same distance.

I did some research and DEN isn't ranked highly in terms of timeliness or functionality. And from my experience there just for a few times there are many delays.

I have status on quite a few airlines, so that's not an issue.
Well, OK then. AA flies ER-145s, at least, so you're not stuck in a CRJ.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DEN is reliable but all it takes is one deicing delay to make you miss your connection, and I've missed many connections at DEN due to weather. I'd go with PHX, as it's the least likely to be impacted by bad weather.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

I am doing more through Phoenix. I think it works well (well, today they are looking for volunteers, $375, you'd have to wait til tomorrow morning and they'd put you up) except they don't have many flights.

But my experience with United has been that they are always delayed, though sometimes you can make your connection (my first week with them 3/4 flights were delayed, I barely made one, 2 other ones I was delayed more than 3 hours)
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Yeah, until United stops relying on the Unreliable Q400's operated by Republic, there GJT operation will remain unreliable. IMHO, AA is the best option on a E145 to DFW (excepting of course, Allegiant flights to LAX and LAS 2X weekly). The CR2 operated by DL, UA, and US is just...well, as it is known here on FT...a Canadian Torture Tube.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Yea, I flew the ER-175 for the first time last week. Definitely more enjoyable than the other little jets.

Actually, at GJT they don't operate Q400 (I know, cause I flew them all summer on AS). United operates little jetplanes.

Through PHX my trips have been uneventful, so I guess US is a good option (except I don't like them).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.