Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in Seattle-where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:12 am
Original Poster

First time in Seattle-where to stay?

Hello all--I'm planning a trip to Seattle sometime in Nov. I know what I want to do but have no idea where to stay. Hoping some of you can offer suggestions. Since it'll be my first time, I mainly want to do the "touristy" things like the Space Needle, Pike's Place Market, visit the gum wall, etc. I also plan to drive to Canada for a day or two so I'll have a car. Should I strictly be looking at hotels downtown, or? From what I understand, everything is pricey downtown (my budget is ~$150/night). Since I'll have a car, I don't mind staying a little further from the action. Or is driving to the attractions not advisable? How's parking? What about public transportation?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:44 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
$150 a night might be pushing it. With a car (good idea in November) have a look at a couple of properties in the University (of WA) District - University Inn and Watertown (companion properties) and also a good local chain, Silver Cloud, with branches on Lake Union (free parking - unusual for that part of town) and also in the hospital district, next to Safeco Field, and also near the University.

I would also look at airbnb, which usually has some good listings in that price point.

Parking is typical big-city prices, public transportation is decent, but the car will be more useful most days. Look at renting downtown rather than the airport, in order to save taxes and fees.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:54 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Unless I'm not the one paying, I always stay near the airport, as it's MUCH cheaper than downtown. It's quick to get downtown by car of light rail, and if having a car, you don't have to pay the normally very expensive parking downtown.

I really liked my trips to Olympic Peninsula and hiking there, but not everyone is a fan of hiking up a mountain.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the input.

Yea, after doing a little more research last night, I realized that I will most likely need to adjust my budget for the hotel or stay somewhere closer to the airport. I'm a fan of VRBO because I prefer to stay in suite-like rooms/condos with a kitchen(ette), so I'll probably go that route (I'll check out airbnb as well).
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
UberX is quick, efficient, and cheap for getting around downtown Seattle.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
There's a newer Residence Inn in Bellevue that you might want to check out. The rooms are like studio apartments with kitchens. It's one of the nicer Residence Inns that I've stayed at. It's about 20 minutes to downtown Seattle and a much nicer area than the Airport.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Unless I'm not the one paying, I always stay near the airport, as it's MUCH cheaper than downtown. It's quick to get downtown by car of light rail, and if having a car, you don't have to pay the normally very expensive parking downtown.
Light Rail makes it a practical option to look at airport properties if time is not an option. A hotel shuttle to the airport plus the ride to downtown will add roughly an hour each way to your commute but may save you mega-bucks on the accommodation.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that some SEA hotels are now charging guests to use the airport shuttle. Check this before booking the hotel as you will need the shuttle to get to the light rail line from most properties.

BTW don't forget the Museum of Flight near the SEA airport.

Also, if you plan a Boeing visit, it's wise to make a reservation in advance. Their tours are limited and tend to fill up.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Note that some SEA hotels are now charging guests to use the airport shuttle. Check this before booking the hotel as you will need the shuttle to get to the light rail line from most properties.
True and most annoying.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: DL FO, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Uh Clem
There's a newer Residence Inn in Bellevue that you might want to check out. The rooms are like studio apartments with kitchens. It's one of the nicer Residence Inns that I've stayed at. It's about 20 minutes to downtown Seattle and a much nicer area than the Airport.
If OP is looking for a hotel during the work week, expect to pay $200+ for even a Fairfield Inn in Bellevue.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:44 pm

What prices are you seeing on Hotwire and Priceline Express for your dates?

In years past, I've had excellent deals in downtown Seattle and the Space Center area, but that appears to be a thing of the past. I really like Homewood Suites (both locations), and I also liked Springhill Suites (although it's in a slightly deserted part of downtown, it's close to Capitol Hill on foot).

With a car, the airport area can be OK, but the surroundings are depressing. It is nice to be in an area with some life (and Capitol Hill can be better than downtown for that, actually).

So I'd hope for a great deal by bidding on Priceline, or go the AirBnB route.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW don't forget the Museum of Flight near the SEA airport.

Also, if you plan a Boeing visit, it's wise to make a reservation in advance. Their tours are limited and tend to fill up.
The Museum of Flight is actually near the BFI airport (Boeing Field), though it isn't so far away from SEA (SeaTac). The Boeing tour is up in Everett, which is quite a distance away from Seattle itself.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Well, I found 2 places on VRBO that seem decent for the price. I'm just not sure how truthful the ad is in terms of distance to the "attractions". Can anyone who knows the area pretty well comment on these two: http://www.stayalfred.com/rentals/al...town-1bedroom/ and http://www.stayalfred.com/rentals/al...rketside-1bed/
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:54 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Seattle isn't that big. Either of those are fine location wise. I didn't look closely, but did that include a parking spot. Parking downtown is not cheap.

You didn't mention how many nights you'll be staying, but for your downtown touristing, you absolutely do not need/want a car if you're staying downtown, or even at an airport hotel.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Both of these places are great for downtown Seattle. I have a friend who lives in Harbor Steps - he loves it there. It's a block from the Four Seasons, and 2 blocks from the middle of Pike Place market.

The other place looks good too, location wise. I think it's a bit further, but that would be nit-picking.

You will not need a car for either of these locations, unless you want to drive to out of the way places. Public transport in the downtown core is actually really good for an American city, and these locations are both close enough to the light rail for travel to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.