Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:39 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Have there been delays on this line recently? I heard murmurs that there are delays due to landslides and weather, but any track improvements going on?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Have there been delays on this line recently? I heard murmurs that there are delays due to landslides and weather, but any track improvements going on?
There really is not much that they can do. The track runs at the bottom of a steep cliff, along the edge of the Puget Sound. Normally the delays only happen during the rainy season.....oh, wait....its Seattle!

Seriously though, in the summer time it normally runs on time. Even in the winter, they clear the tracks fairly quickly because it is a major freight route, but passenger trains have different rules that make them wait a certain amount of time.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Just got home from vacation and wanted to answer some questions I had and others I have seen. Get to the station and hour before departure. Have your passport ready as well as your tickets. Train left on time and there were no delays going up. The water side is for sure the side you want to be seated on. We just ask and the gentleman said no problem. Seats are very comfortable and each set of seats has a plug in for your phone or laptop. Saw two bald eagles sitting in the tops of two dead trees and it was magnificent. As you approach the boarder they tell you to put your phone in airplane mode so as not to incur any international roaming charges. The rest of the ride was smooth and on time. After arriving in Vancouver have your passport out and be ready to answer some questions. The TSA or whatever they are called in Canada are pretty unfriendly. On the return once again ask for water side and was told no problem. Canadian TSA actually grilled us harder to get out of the country then to get in. On the return we had to stop several times for other trains but still arrived back in Seattle on time. Now don't think you're finished with your passport because they stop the train at the boarder the real TSA gets on board and checks passports. This was a hit or
miss deal and half or fewer actually got looked at. The sun setting over the water was beautiful. Pretty much it got back to Seattle right on time and it was a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:42 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Thanks for the writeup ^

Originally Posted by AA Novice
The TSA or whatever they are called in Canada are pretty unfriendly.
They tend to be worse to Canadians

Originally Posted by AA Novice
Canadian TSA actually grilled us harder to get out of the country then to get in.

Maybe it's different for train, but only had to scan my things at the airport, no questions asked. And they tend to be somewhat friendly on the way out of Canada - maybe they want us to visit again.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ToGo
The Car look like more than an Historic Railroad then an Railway from today.
Really?

Old Jun 23, 2014, 12:55 am

Programs: HH Silver
Thanks for the pic Bear. Is that Business Class?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 1:42 am
Suspended

For example Business Class in Austria:
(c) AP (Markus Schreiber)

and the First Class:
http://www.eurailpress.de/uploads/pi...jet-Online.JPG
Picture: C. Müller

Eco -> First -> Business

Free Wifi (in Austria except between the Salzburg <-> Kufstein), Free Power and some Sweets

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 23, 2014 at 9:40 am Reason: Converted inline image to link since picture MUCH too big

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.