Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Security Location Moves on 9/15/09

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
IAD Security Location Moves on 9/15/09

On September 15, TSA passenger security will relocate to two new security screening mezzanines (East and West) from it's current location at the rear of the Ticketing (Departure) Level.

The mezzanines are below-and-behind the baggage claim area. They are accessed via new escalators from both the Ticketing Level and the Baggage Level of the Main Terminal. The new escalators are located behind the existing East and West escalators that connect the Ticketing and Baggage Levels.

Since the train system won't be operational for several more weeks, once through security screening passengers will cross a bridge over the train station, up an escalator to where Caribou Coffee used to be, and then to their gate as they currently do. Note that the two shuttles to the B gates will depart from the same area as the A,C, and D shuttles depart from now.

Once the train starts running, the shuttles to A, B, and C Concourses will be eliminated. The existing shuttles between Main and D, and between A and D will continue operation since the train doesn't serve the D Concourse (other than via a long walk from the C concourse train station).
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Another mess waiting to happen at IAD - the only positive thing is it sounds like TSA is being put underground which admittedly has some appeal
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Thanks for the update, Annandaler. I guess I'll get to try it out on the 18th on my way to DEN. Is there any new information on when the trains will start running?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Uh oh.. this isn't good.

I have an outgoing flight on that night (to LHR). This is going to cause a mess I bet.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
The trains probably won't start until mid-October. They need to perform flawlessly in testing for a 30-day period. Any glitch has to be fixed and then the 30 days start again.

The original plan was to move the TSA checkpoints at the same time as the trains start running. All new equipment has been installed at the new checkpoints - and the old equipment is scheduled to be transferred to a new location. That old equipment must be removed and transferred right after 9/15, thus the move to the new checkpoint even though the trains aren't ready yet.

I don't think it will be a "mess" starting on 9/15. Good signage is being installed. And it will be "all hands" working every day/night for two weeks or so starting then - so there will be identifiable personnel to help with directions and answer questions. We'll see.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 8:28 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by Annandaler
I don't think it will be a "mess" starting on 9/15. ... We'll see.
I wish I could share your confidence. I have a flight at noon on the 15th.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Oh boy. Someone take pictures please.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 9:41 am

Programs: MR Life Silver, HH, IHG, WN, AS
Yikes. Huge thanks for the warning. I'm flying out of IAD that morning, 9:45am. I'll add extra time and post report if possible (though it'll be my first time flying out of IAD so don't know how helpful it would be).
Old Sep 15, 2009, 7:14 am

Programs: MR Life Silver, HH, IHG, WN, AS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Just passed through the new IAD security and wanted to report back. I'm new to IAD so I can't compare with previous layout. I can say it was very fast (<10min) but mainly because all checkpoints were open and there was basically no line at all. The suits were out watching the progress as were many airport helpers directing traffic to the new escalators. At the Jetblue bag drop we were given a map of the new setup with directions. At the bottom of the escalator there was a sign pointing Premium Passengers to the first entrance at the bottom of the escalator then two more entrances to the right. I didn't see anything describing who is considered "premium" but someone was at each entrance checking boarding passes. I saw one gentleman getting directed back and forth so perhaps not everyone is clear on the Premium definition. After we were through, we were back on an escalator and heading towards the shuttles to gates. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
I also just went through and it was very fast.

A couple of weird observations...

Past the metal detector, they have a bench between the two xray output areas where people pick up their luggage and belongings. The bench, for people to put their shoes on, cramps the area and makes it hard to get by when people are sitting on the with their luggage. Why put these benches there?

With as spacious as the whole area is, I was surprised how cramped the bathroom is. There is little area around the sinks and facilities for people to pass behind others when carrying luggage. No area to set your luggage within your view when using the facilities or sinks. Again, with all the space they had, why cramp this area?

droopy
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:27 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
I went through at 10:30AM.

No surprise, the new set up was just about as screwed up as everything else at IAD.

30 lanes! 2 were open, 1 for premium pax, 1 for GMs. It took me a good 10 minutes with just half a dozen pax in front of me. There were at least a hundred GMs in the other line that was barely moving.

Dozens (or more?) TSA clowns standing around with their thumbs in their ears. One Bozo gave me some grief because I put my shoes in the bin.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 2:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors, Amex Platinum
Reporting in (lined up at 4pm). Based on earlier reports.. I think things have gotten a bit worse.

Went to the escalators and we were stopped at the top and was told that it was too crowded downstairs. We were advised to go to the diamond lane by baggage claim eight. Line moved very slow and only one machine was running.

I've lived here a long time.. I know how this airport works (terribly) Good thing I left early.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:50 pm

The main terminal felt so empty today without security there. If you aren't checking bags and check in online there is no point in being dropped off up on the departures level, you should be entering through the baggage level.

Airfield views from the main terminal are much improved too.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 7:15 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Sounds like more of a mess than ever. Should be a joy on Friday afternoon.

Damn you TSA for killing CLEAR.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:45 pm

Anyone have pictures? I'll be passing through on Monday but wouldn't mind having some timely information to add to my blog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.