Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Where to view fireworks with the kids and hotel area recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold

My family and I will be at the fireworks display in DC July 4th this year. My wife and I have 3 kids, 9, 8 and 3. My parents will most likely be there as well.

Started looking for a hotel. Was solely thinking Mall area.

But, the fireworks website said there are good viewing areas from Arlington. So, maybe it's best not to cross into DC for the fireworks show, especially with the kids?

My main concern is ability to get back to the hotel in a reasonable amount of time, if that is possible. If not, then everyone will deal with it and I'll hear more whining.

Are the subways just crazy after the fireworks? Any chance of staying in Arlington and getting brave and going into the city?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I would imagine that getting from Arlington back to DC after the fireworks would suck unbelievably so. It might very well be faster to walk across the key bridge and through Georgetown to your hotel.

Having said all that, the Marriott Key Bridge is a good hotel for seeing fireworks (it is in Arlington) but close to DC (right across the river from Georgetown, a 10 minute walk). Might be a decent option.

Otherwise I'd just stay on the Mall and watch the fireworks from the mall. Get there early. Really early.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:01 pm

I would not try to take the subway home from the mall with three small children within an hour after the fireworks end. The station platforms immediately adjacent to the mall end up packed with people pressed shoulder-to-shoulder, chest-to-back within minutes of the show ending, and the Metro cars themselves are worse. I would worry about becoming separated by the force of the crowd (and about the kids getting squashed).

Regardless of whether or not you're staying in the city, either walk home or plan on hanging out on the mall for a while after the show.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

call the embassy row hotel and ask if they will be having a viewing of fireworks from the roof. there's a pool up there, and a couple of times, we went there for fireworks.

i've been in roslyn a couple of times also. it is quite a ways away from the fireworks.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
call the embassy row hotel and ask if they will be having a viewing of fireworks from the roof. there's a pool up there, and a couple of times, we went there for fireworks.

i've been in roslyn a couple of times also. it is quite a ways away from the fireworks.

Excellent advice. This is why I love FT. ^

And for the viewing from Arlington, it would be more get a hotel and view from Arlington.

Definitely don't want to lose the kids or get them squished, at least not most of the time. (a little Dad humor)

But I like the flexibility that staying at the Embassy Row Hilton gives. If we want to go do other things, we can. I have a call in and will post what the manager says with regards to the roof being open and viewing from there.

The manager just called and there will be viewing from the roof.

Last edited by Bikeguy; Jun 10, 2009 at 4:38 pm
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Excellent advice. This is why I love FT. ^

And for the viewing from Arlington, it would be more get a hotel and view from Arlington.

Definitely don't want to lose the kids or get them squished, at least not most of the time. (a little Dad humor)

But I like the flexibility that staying at the Embassy Row Hilton gives. If we want to go do other things, we can. I have a call in and will post what the manager says with regards to the roof being open and viewing from there.

The manager just called and there will be viewing from the roof.
It's not just that hotel that does it.. lots in the dupont and downtown areas have viewing parties.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
It's not just that hotel that does it.. lots in the dupont and downtown areas have viewing parties.
REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! list, list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! list, list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+1 for a list.

Although, my kids would love a rooftop pool, so I think I've found the winner for my particular situation for this Fourth of July.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

List

I love google.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Although, my kids would love a rooftop pool, so I think I've found the winner for my particular situation for this Fourth of July.
When I try to book with 2 adults and 2 kids, it won't let me.

Looks like only 1 bed rooms left.

The kids may be sleeping on the floor, or I may be looking for another option.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:11 am

When I try to book with 2 adults and 2 kids, it won't let me.

Looks like only 1 bed rooms left.

The kids may be sleeping on the floor, or I may be looking for another option.
Hmmm, have you tried calling?

I can provide a list but that Washingtonian list is pretty good. One of the properties I was thinking about is the Kimpton properties, they usually have 4th of july events.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love google.
they do not mention embassy row hilton. when i contacted the willard and the st regis, they would not guarantee room with view.

many of these hotels charge a premium. the hay-adams as i recall is available only with room and a meal, and is about a grand. it has one of the very best views. from the roof. we did it one or two years.

when we did the embassy row, we did not rent a room. there was a fee for the American Picnic that was held up there.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Hmmm, have you tried calling?
Excellent suggestion.

Embarrassed I didn't think of it. Didn't work though. The telephone operator told me she could book several more rooms so all the kids have beds.

I booked 2 kings and the kids may end up sleeping on the floor. My 3 year old willingly left her bed last night and slept on the floor. I don't get it, as an adult what gets sore easily.

Also, the DoubleTree Alexandria has "guaranteed view" rooms for about $60 more.

I want the ability to walk around DC.

Hopefully the only way onto the roof isn't buying a picnic. That certainly isn't what the manager said yesterday.

Last edited by Bikeguy; Jun 11, 2009 at 9:48 am
Old Jul 6, 2009, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Experience

Well, everything worked out great at the hotel.

No food or drink allowed on the roof, unless you bought it from the roof grill, but other than that, everything worked fine.

No extra picnic fee, and the view was fine. We were told to get there about two hours early to get a seat, and that was about right. But,if you just wanted to stand and watch, just show up right before the fireworks begin.

Definately the way to go with small kids.

If I was there without the kids, I would have preferred to have been closer, as the hotel is about a mile from the fireworks area, and you only heard the loudest booms.

Excellent recommendation. Thanks flyertalk.

And book early, as the hotel ended up being sold out, and last minute rooms were going for $300.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 9:13 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I was planning on going back to the Jefferson Memorial, where I went two years ago, but instead I followed the crowds over to the park between the Marine Corps Memorial and the Netherlands Carillon/Arlington Cemetery. Plenty of lawn space (and kids) and a pretty orderly crowd walking out. All of a 10 min walk for me from the Hyatt Arlington.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.