Car rentals at DCA - arriving by metro

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz

I'm taking the train down to DC over memorial day weekend, then driving down to Shenandoah Valley. I booked a car at DCA instead of Union Station because the price difference is significant. I've rented cars at Union Station before - but never at DCA. How do I find the car rentals if I'm arriving by metro?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just follow the signs when you get off the Metro. There is a moving walkway which takes you to the rental center. If you arrive at the terminal, you got on the walkway headed in the wrong direction. Should take you 2 minutes from the time you get off the Metro.

Are you certain that the total price is cheaper at DCA than Union Station. There are some pretty hefty airport surcharges.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by Often1
Just follow the signs when you get off the Metro. There is a moving walkway which takes you to the rental center. If you arrive at the terminal, you got on the walkway headed in the wrong direction. Should take you 2 minutes from the time you get off the Metro.

Are you certain that the total price is cheaper at DCA than Union Station. There are some pretty hefty airport surcharges.
Thanks for the directions. I've tried a bunch of coupon codes, and got the DCA reservation down to $60. I couldn't get it below $150 at Union Station. The base rate at Union Station was always pretty high.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:51 am

DCA is a good choice if the price is right. It's easy to get there by metro (but watch the connection and make sure you get on the right line. There will be two differrent colors at the platform where you change.

Big advantage of DCA is that you don't need to drive across DC to get to I-66. Do be aware though that I-66 is terribly congested just about any time of day in any direction, especially near the 495 junction and for 5 miles west of that. So consider leaving extra time on your return, especially afternoons any day of the week.

Once you get a few miles west of 495, things will get much better.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks, klevin99. On the way back, I have a 5PM Amtrak train, and plan on leaving Shenandoah at 12noon (not sure where exactly I'll be). Does that sound like a sane plan for Memorial Day?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: US Chairman
My wife drives Fairlakes area to Crystal City every evening to get home and it takes her about 45 minutes, so you can gauge that as timing once you are close to DC (I wouldn't expect any traffic west of that) . That would be a typical workday, so I'm not sure how traffic would be on a holiday...could be better, could be worse! If you show up too early, I would suggest going down to Old Town Alexandria since it's only 10 minutes from the Airport.

Also, I rent cars fairly often from DCA. If you don't care about the car rental company, definitely try Hotwire. You can usually get cars for under $20 a day. Please note, Advantage and Dollar are off airport.

Last edited by RIC Hokie; Apr 17, 2014 at 7:09 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks RIC Hokie! I'll probably stick with Hertz since I'm 65 points short of a free weekly rental. DCA is cheap. My Hertz reservation is $62 and I have a backup res with National for $58. I'll check out hotwire next time. Given how expensive NYC area rentals are, it actually makes more sense for me to organize road trips out of DC.

Last edited by Kay_nyc; Apr 17, 2014 at 7:22 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:32 am

Assuming you're coming from DC, get on the first car of the train, since you want the metro exit at the south end of the station. When you exit the station, take a right turn toward the garages and a left at the end of the walkway. This map show you how you get there.

There is no moving walkway to the rental center itself. You'll walk along a covered walkway to the next garage where all the rental car companies are. If you have status with Hertz, you can just take the stairs up one level to the Gold Booth.

There are two stairways you can take. The main stairwell has an elevator and the Gold Booth is right outside the exit from the stairwell. The first stairway you come to will put you at the far end of the Gold Choice selections, so you can see what's available as you walk to the Gold Booth and the board to see where your car is.

Last edited by DCAKen; Apr 17, 2014 at 8:42 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 4:03 pm

Shenandoah valley is pretty big, but here's what you can expect Memorial Day. many other drivers will be visiting there with you, all returning home in the afternoon like you. I81 will be busy but no stop and go unless there's an accident. I66 will be OK with heavy traffic until you get near 495. expect about 8 miles of slow traffic. Rest of the way to DC beyond 495 will be OK. 5 hours should be OK. I'd expect a 3 hour trip from the 81/66 junction, maybe less. From DCA to Union Station should be about 30 minutes including train change time, but could be longer if the trains only run every 15 minutes and you're unlucky. Since holiday traffic inside DC is never heavy unless there's an event.

Finally, this will be Rolling Thunder weekend, so watch out for Harleys. You will see lots of them. The big parade (a great site) is Sunday, but a lot of bikers will be going home Monday.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Folks, thank you! This is one of the most useful set of responses I've ever gotten.

DCAKen - as a subway rider, I really appreciate knowing what part of the train I should take. The map is great.

klevin99 - Thanks for the traffic predictions. I forgot about the Harleys! I went down to DC over Memorial Day weekend a few years ago. Didn't know about Rolling Thunder then, and just wandered into the motorcycle parade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.