Search

Connecting through IAD w/ international arrival

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Connecting through IAD w/ international arrival

Flying Qatar Airways from DOH > IAD and then,
Air Canada from IAD > YOW > YEG

Arriving IAD at 3pm (Terminal A -- I think) on a weekday in mid-April with a 2 hours and 15 min connection, and departing from Terminal C on AC around 5:15pm. We're flying with a toddler, so we'll have checked luggage, carry-ons, as well as a stroller. (Joy.)

1. Is that doable considering the afternoon rush of international flights?

2. If the flight is missed because of being held up in line at immigration and customs, will AC (or Qatar Air?) put my family on the next available flight? I read somewhere that if you're flying multiple carriers (especially for tickets bought at sites like Orbitz), it's not the airline's responsibility if you miss a flight due to delays at the airport. Any experiences with missed connections flying multiple carriers? I would hate to be stranded at the airport after a long haul flight with a cranky 2 year old, so we wanna be prepared.

3. If they do put you on the next flight, and the flight doesn't happen to leave 'till the next day, do they provide any vouchers for a hotel/food or do you have to arrange for your own hotel?

4. There's also the option of taking a connection with 5.5 hours in IAD: DOH > IAD > YYZ > YEG. Is 5.5 hours an overkill, or would that be the safer option at IAD?

5. Lastly, how do you get from Terminal A to C and vice versa, and how long does it take to transfer?

We need to make a decision ASAP, so please help!! Thanks so much.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
Deleted by Annandaler.

Last edited by Annandaler; Mar 12, 2011 at 5:59 am
Old Mar 11, 2011, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Cross-posting is not good
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...minal-iad.html
Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Agree that cross-posting is not acceptable, but this is the correct forum for the question.

When you arrive DOH-IAD, you won't be in terminal A, you will have to board a people mover (eg bus) that will take you to the main terminal where you will go through customs & immigration. Prior to customs (after immigration), you retrieve your checked luggage and re-check them before leaving the c&i area (that assumes your bags are checked all the way through, you want that to happen).

Once you have rechecked the luggage, you exit C&I, and will follow signs to security. At IAD, there is security on the same level you exit called "the diamond line" around baggage claim 7 I believe which usually has a shorter line than the main security area on the level below. Proceed through security then follow the sign to terminal C (usually where AC departs from, but check monitors to confirm). The signs will take you to the aero train which you'll board and exit on the second stop.

Once you arrive you will have a lengthy walk (getting the idea here, IAD likes people to walk - a lot) ... to the actual terminal. The AC gates are to the left when you reach the terminal.

2.5 hours is tight but possible, hope for good positioning for immigration and a short security line. G'Luck

NOTE - I don't think you'll be given this option, but UA hosts a mid-field immigration area - if this is available to your flight, when you exit follow the signs for transfer .... the big difference is that when you exit the security post C&I, you will already be in terminal C and only have to walk down your hall to the AC gate (not a short walk, but better than all the other steps above)
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway
NOTE - I don't think you'll be given this option, but UA hosts a mid-field immigration area - if this is available to your flight, when you exit follow the signs for transfer .... the big difference is that when you exit the security post C&I, you will already be in terminal C and only have to walk down your hall to the AC gate (not a short walk, but better than all the other steps above)
When Qatar flights arrive at Dulles, they park in the Hardstand area. There passengers exit the plane directly onto Mobile Lounges. All passengers from Qatar flights are taken to the Main Terminal C&I facility - none are taken to the mid-field immigration area.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annandaler
When Qatar flights arrive at Dulles, they park in the Hardstand area. There passengers exit the plane directly onto Mobile Lounges. All passengers from Qatar flights are taken to the Main Terminal C&I facility - none are taken to the mid-field immigration area.
Thanks, I didn't think they got access but put it our there just in case.

For the op, the bus/mobile lounge/people mover will pull up to the plane in a hard stand situation. You de plane onto the bus which will take everyone to customs. Warning is they really fill those buses and pack people in. if possible get a spot near the entrance as that is where you get off as well. Getting in line faster will help your connection
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:09 pm

Technically, the mobile lounge in question is a Plane Mate. (See the second picture at http://www.virtualtravelog.net/2003/...ional-airport/ )

As GoingAway mentions, try to position yourself close to the door of the Plane Mate when boarding it. That way you will be among the first off at IAB.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Annandaler
Technically, the mobile lounge in question is a Plane Mate. (See the second picture at http://www.virtualtravelog.net/2003/...ional-airport/ )

As GoingAway mentions, try to position yourself close to the door of the Plane Mate when boarding it. That way you will be among the first off at IAB.
That's a new term ... "Plane Mate"

Hmm, no comment.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I arrive on UA from NRT, and continue on UA to BOS. Can anyone briefly describe the process at IAD? I am a U.S. citizen, and will have one checked bag, which will be checked through to BOS, but I assume I have to carry this through Customs, then drop it off somewhere?

Reading the IAD website it seems like I might either go to the "C-gates Immigration area" or the IAB. So I am curious if anyone knows which facility I would use, and then what the actual transfer process is like.

Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

transpac - This thread answers your question, particularly post #5.

The NRT flight, IIRC, gets in early afternoon when the midfield C&I is open. Follow signs for connecting passengers when you deplane, you'll be sent downstairs under Terminal C. There you will go through C&I (reclaiming luggage in between and rechecking it after), then TSA before heading back upstairs into the terminal.

If the BOS flight is mainline, it will leave from terminal C or D (they are connected but it can be a hike to get to the higher D gates), if it is an express flight (UAX), then it could leave from either of those or terminal A (follow the signs to the aerotrain, it'll be a hike). Check the display at the top of the escalators for the appropriate gate location.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 10:54 pm

International To Domestic-connecting time at IAD

i am travelling from Kuwait to IAD (Dulles) via United Airways-arriving at 6.42 am in the morning. i have one checked baggage--need to connect to Seatle -the flight leaves at 8.20 am.
it is just about 90 minutes.
is this time ok. i have read all the threads on the topic. from the discussions it seems that i can re -check the baggage without going to the main concourse--saving some time.
(iam not a not a US citizen and am coming to Dulles for first time)
i would appreciate a quick reply
thanks
liz
Old Apr 3, 2011, 6:24 am

The flight from Kuwait usually arrives early - sometimes very early. See the earlier comments (from me and others) about the process for TRANSFER passengers (follow the TRANSFER signs when you deplane at Dulles).

Your plane will park at one of the low numbered C gates. You will be processed through Immigration, Baggage Claim, Customs, Baggage Re-check, and TSA security - all on the ground level of the C Concourse. Then you go upstairs into the C Concourse (across from gate C7), locate your connecting flight's gate on the Departure Screens right there, and walk to your connecting flight somewhere the connected C/D Concourse.

Last edited by Annandaler; Apr 3, 2011 at 10:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.