Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Which Airline Do You Take Across the Pond?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

I feel like we have quite a few options out of IAD for heading to Europe. How do you choose? Alliance loyalty? In-Flight Service? Non-stops? Flight Timings? Price?

Carriers flying to Europe from IAD:
*A: United, Lufthansa, SAS, Austrian, Turkish
OneWorld: British Airways (including OpenSkies), Iberia
SkyTeam: Air France, KLM, Aeroflot
Non-Aligned: Virgin Atlantic, Aer Lingus (to Madrid under UA auspices)

Carriers with a stop in North America:
Air Canada, American, Delta, Continental, US

Carriers flying from other US Airports:
Finnair, Tap Portugal, Alitalia, Aer Lingus (to Ireland), LOT, BMI, Swiss

Also Possible:
Singapore, Air New Zealand, IcelandAir, AirBerlin, SATA International (to the Azores), Aerosvit, Air Europa

Last edited by EricTheNerd; Sep 29, 2010 at 2:26 pm Reason: Edited Carrier List
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
It might be helpful if you spelled out the names rather than using codes, as some of these are quite unusual. Are you sure that you meant to use SP - SATA Air Acores owns two Dash 8s. I doubt they re doing transatlantics with them. Perhaps you meant SQ. Not everyone is a nerd about airline codes.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

My apologies, I'll make some edits. I also forgot SQ (and NZ)
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Thanks for the update.

My decision is based on corporate agreements with certain airlines in the list as well as price.

I would be surprised if anyone is choosing SATA unless they are going to the Azores, and Aerosvit to Ukraine.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Aer Lingus also fly out of IAD - to Madrid, under the Joint Venture agreement with UA. So I guess you could include them in the direct list also.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P, BA Silver
Been choosing based on price and alliance loyality. I fly to Germany and England frequently and 95% of the time for past 7 years, I'm on UA (even though my preference is Virgin for LHR and LH for MUC on Airbus). Never flown into any other European cities from IAD directly yet.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: DL PM, US CP, SPG Gold
To get to France, I used to be loyal to AF from IAD, but now with OpenSkies at IAD that may change. First trip on EC next week IAD-ORY. From everything I've seen, I'm expecting a good experience. For the same price I'd rather take OpenSkies than AF's Premium Voyageur (esp since I no longer have status on AF). ALso, like many, disappointed by AF's proposed "new" J-cabin offering.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
My choice is UA. I can only book economy, so if upgrades don't clear, E+ is tolerable.

Regardless of your final choice, I would recommend you stick with one alliance to maximize your mileage and status earnings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.