Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Skipping First Flight on Return (ticket purchased from travel agency)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.

Hi !

Not trying to get around paying the change fee or anything...so ff paying the change fee isnt an issue is it possible to change this through Virgin Australia or do we have to go through the actual agency that booked the flight? The reason why I'm asking is because the agency might be closed when we decide to skip the first leg.

This is on a discount economy ticket. SFO-LAX - LAX-BNE
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
If you skip first leg, the rest of the ticket gets auto cancelled and you do not travel at all. If it is first sector of the return journey, you need to deal with the travel agency. The airline will not touch the ticket until after you begin the journey...
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:06 pm

I can't say about Long Haul flights to the US but for Virgin Domestic flights you can just ring them and tell them that you won't be flying the first flight and they'll update the booking for free.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
The problem might be if the SFO-LAX-BNE was cheaper than LAX-BNE. I don't think VA would be happy to change that for free and without re-pricing... Cases like these have been discussed here on FT ad nauseam (e.g. Europeans starting their TATL trips in Scandinavia or Greece) and people have had their ticket cancelled when they skipped the first segment and/or re-priced to their great disappointment when they asked the airline...

Additionally, if OP booked with TA, VA will not touch that ticket - unless OP booked BNE-LAX-SFO-LAX-BNE which is not clear to me from the OP. If OP already flew two sectors out of 4 sector ticket, then VA might be of possible help...

Last edited by vbroucek; Apr 20, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP.
Yes sorry BNE TO LAX was taken already last week. SFO-LAX-BNE was not. Anyway Virgin Australia told me that only the TA could handle and they of course charged double the change fee so it came out to $400 AUD instead of $200 to reissue ticket.

Oh well thanks everyone.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Amil
Yes sorry BNE TO LAX was taken already last week. SFO-LAX-BNE was not. Anyway Virgin Australia told me that only the TA could handle and they of course charged double the change fee so it came out to $400 AUD instead of $200 to reissue ticket.

Oh well thanks everyone.
Unfortunately, some TAs do charge airline change fee plus their own fee... Mine does not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.