Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Already retained gold, next points wasted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA- Platinum

Hi,
I just retained VA Gold and my renewal date is end of July.

I'm taking a business class trip to Europe on Ethiad with my wife in a couple of weeks, she pools her points to me and all up its worth 800 points.

Question is, will those 800 SC's be lost come 31/7? I know it will take me to Platinum but for how long? Since I have about 500 SC's now I'd hope that thius new 800 will count towards my next years Gold/Plat status?

Can anyone tell me how points rollover works on status renewal? Basically I'm wondering if its worth turning off family pooling for this next flight so my wife can get gold on her own, although she mostly travels with me and I also travel alone a fair amount.

Thanks!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
This happened to me last year.

As soon as you hit 1000SC it will tip you to Platinum and from that date you will have 1 year to accumulate again. If you get to 1040 then these 40SC will not roll to next year.

My review date used to be November and then last year I hit PL in July and my review date then changed to July.

Something to consider though - are you flying on Code share VA or EY? For me EY posted within 2 days but VA code share I had to do a missing points claim for. With the delay in posting Velocity then stuffed me renewal and I had to get it fixed.

If you are not going to get to 1000 then you might be best to family pool.

Cheers
FF
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Yes this is a big flaw in Velocity's system.

If you earn 400 SC for the outbound trip and it posts before you return, you'll be sitting at 900 SC. Still Gold.

On the return you earn 400 SC again, which after 24 hours the 1300 SC kicks you to PLT. However your SC to retain PLT are now 0.

Effectively those 300 SC get put into no-mans land. My opinion is that they should roll over at least to the next day, but they don't. They are gone.

So, yes if I were you I would turn off family pooling, and maybe you and your wife can take a 100 SC trip to get you to PLT and GLD.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Yes this is a big flaw in Velocity's system.

If you earn 400 SC for the outbound trip and it posts before you return, you'll be sitting at 900 SC. Still Gold.

On the return you earn 400 SC again, which after 24 hours the 1300 SC kicks you to PLT. However your SC to retain PLT are now 0.

Effectively those 300 SC get put into no-mans land. My opinion is that they should roll over at least to the next day, but they don't. They are gone.

So, yes if I were you I would turn off family pooling, and maybe you and your wife can take a 100 SC trip to get you to PLT and GLD.
My understanding (as a PLT for several years) is that you need 1000 in a rolling 12-month period to get to PLT, but 800 in a fixed 12-month period to retain PLT. I don't accept the example given here is in fact accurate or, indeed, a "flaw".
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I have lived this already upgrading from Silver to Gold. I basically 'wasted' 120 SC because of this policy. Luckily I made Platinum easily anyway so it didn't matter much, but it could have.

You can choose to not accept it, but it is a fact. The 'Additional Status Credits required' goes to zero 24 hours after you qualify for the next tier and the clock starts on that day. Any SC over the requirement that you earned in the previous 24 hour period are effectively lost, because your review date is 12 months and 1 day after these expire. For small SC earning trips, this is not very relevant. But for big trips, especially with Flexi or J fares, or family pooling, it can be huge.

Many threads about this on AFF and it is a well known situation. The basic solution is to try and qualify by the smallest margin possible.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I like the US plans system where Status is based on the flying in each Calendar year.

Get to 800 SC on December 31 say, and you are good for next year etc.

Easy to follow and easy to understand.

I too lose the plot totally with Virgin. WHY they'd choose not to base it on systems that have worked well for decades is a mystery.

Needed to start a new account for partner so our review dates synched, as it was impossible to plan to both get Plat with them 6 months apart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.