Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin partners with GoGo for Wifi and launches Economy X domestic product

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:17 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/busi...29-gv9ix9.html

In-flight internet access is shaping up as a key battleground for Australia's two major airlines, with Virgin Australia announcing a trial of on-board Wi-Fi to match the service Qantas is close to launching.

Virgin on Thursday revealed plans to offer passengers Wi-Fi by connecting to Optus satellites on domestic and New Zealand flights and to global network providers Intelsat and SES for other international flights.
Economy X

Virgin has also launched a new fare category that will give economy passengers more leg room, their own overhead baggage storage and priority boarding and security screening.

All 75 of Virgin's 737 aircraft will be reconfigured to fit 24 to 30 Economy X seats, which will have at least 7.6 centimetres extra leg room and be located in the first three rows of the economy cabin and exit rows.

The new product will be free for Platinum Velocity frequent flyer members and cost $29 for other passengers, and will be available by the end of May.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
There's a reason why trains have introduced "Quiet Carriages"
Old Apr 2, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
When did Virgin Australia become United?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
GoGo 2Ku is now live on international flights operated by plane VH-VPE. The actual inflight speed tests show 4-8Mbps which is the fastest option on the US-Australia route amongst any airline. The pricing is AUD 34.99 for the entire flight on the “fast” option. This is as of Dec 20th on VA2.

The plane will be rotated amongst the LAX routes until the entire fleet is done in April 2018. A 2nd plane should be equipped in the coming days.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
what has happened to the domestic wifi roll out - I havent been on a 737 with wifi at this stage - is it actually happening?
Old May 21, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
They'll be done when the Hobart lounge opens.

https://www.virginaustralia.com/us/e...TS-NEW-LOUNGE/

Typical VA, you can never trust the announcements. I haven't seen a 737 with Wifi yet either. I did finally get it on my 777 trip a couple weeks ago.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I believe there are at least three with the WiFi fit out.

More here on AFF: VA [Inflight] Wi-Fi
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
Got my first WiFi flight yesterday. Interestingly I noticed yesterday pre flight when checking flight status on the app - a little wifi symbol came up next to the flight number indicating that my aircraft would be wifi enabled.

Choose the free option - was fine for email, little slow on web pages such as newspaper sites. Certainly no video access. Could get radio stream on iphone app but not ipad. Could not access Foxtel app at all (says not connected to the internet). They ran the normal announcement about wifi entertainment pre take off and then a very small announcement after take off that the plane was wifi equipped and there was a card in the seat. Probably could have been bigger announcement and/or having the wifi indicator on the airport flight display screens etc...
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-PLT, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Same here. I wish we are able to pick flights (for both Qantas and Virgin) while booking them - just an indicator if the flights are wifi enabled or not.
So far with Virgin, only had Wifi on one flight from Mel-SYD. Had much better luck with Qantas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.