Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

No more *A Lounge access for Gold VA flyers out of LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold

"as of Wednesday January 11, 2017, they'll instead receive a US$40 (A$54) food and beverage voucher to spend within the LAX international terminal along with 10,000 Velocity frequent flyer points as additional 'compensation'.

As Gold members can bring one guest into an airport lounge, Virgin Australia will also issue a second US$40 voucher (but not a second serve of points) to Velocity Gold members travelling with a companion on the same flight."

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-aust...-lounge-access

Last edited by johnnyfive; Jan 17, 2017 at 7:03 pm
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
nice they give you $40 for dinner/drinks and miles...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
nice they give you $40 for dinner/drinks and miles...
I would just take the miles food and drink voucher (works at the duty free right?)

I wonder if they will offer me this as a Plat?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sausagefingers
I would just take the miles food and drink voucher (works at the duty free right?)
Almost zero chance it'll work at Duty Free. As a rule, these type of vouchers only work at specific retailers - normally just actual food places. Generally even places like the newsagent-style places wont take them for drinks/snacks.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by docbert
Almost zero chance it'll work at Duty Free. As a rule, these type of vouchers only work at specific retailers - normally just actual food places. Generally even places like the newsagent-style places wont take them for drinks/snacks.
Yeah I was kidding
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I hate it when lazy members post just a link and no data.

as of Wednesday January 11, 2017, they'll instead receive a US$40 (A$54) food and beverage voucher to spend within the LAX international terminal along with 10,000 Velocity frequent flyer points as additional 'compensation'.

As Gold members can bring one guest into an airport lounge, Virgin Australia will also issue a second US$40 voucher (but not a second serve of points) to Velocity Gold members travelling with a companion on the same flight.

Now I and other have wasted time clicking the link, I'd take the $A110 and 10,000 points most times over most Star Lounges.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Are you WP or SG? If the former then it's the EY lounge and no USD40& 10K points.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I hate it when lazy members post just a link and no data.

as of Wednesday January 11, 2017, they'll instead receive a US$40 (A$54) food and beverage voucher to spend within the LAX international terminal along with 10,000 Velocity frequent flyer points as additional 'compensation'.

As Gold members can bring one guest into an airport lounge, Virgin Australia will also issue a second US$40 voucher (but not a second serve of points) to Velocity Gold members travelling with a companion on the same flight.

Now I and other have wasted time clicking the link, I'd take the $A110 and 10,000 points most times over most Star Lounges.
Sorry mate! You're most right. I have updated post. ^
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I spent time in the EY lounge recently, around 9pm (so before SYD flight boards but when the BNE passengers start arriving). It was absolutely packed, standing room only and queues for the toilets even. Service was very good and it is a nice little club but definitely not ideal for the amount of people with access now (let alone adding Golds to the mix).

It was better after the SYD flight boarded, but it was still quite full. I would not want to be around if the SYD flight got delayed.

Long story short, this is relevant to the OP because I don't see Golds getting EY access anytime soon.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
$40 seems like a decent amount to spend, but that certainly isn't going to cover much in the way of drinks at Bradley. Maybe a meal and 1 glass of wine.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
If they are giving you an $40 voucher - surely they could for got paid access into one of the other contract lounges?

Or failing that couldn't they have just booked one of the restaurants out?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
If they are giving you an $40 voucher - surely they could for got paid access into one of the other contract lounges?
There are likely no other lounges that have room, and/or would be willing to take a competitor.

The Korean/Skyteam lounge would be the obvious one for them (given the connection to Delta), but from all accounts it's very busy at that time of night. Qantas is out, as obviously so is the *A lounge. That leaves Etihad which is apparently quite small, and Emirates which is closed at that time so might have been an option if they paid enough, but again the Qantas angle might have been against them there.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
There are likely no other lounges that have room, and/or would be willing to take a competitor.

The Korean/Skyteam lounge would be the obvious one for them (given the connection to Delta), but from all accounts it's very busy at that time of night. Qantas is out, as obviously so is the *A lounge. That leaves Etihad which is apparently quite small, and Emirates which is closed at that time so might have been an option if they paid enough, but again the Qantas angle might have been against them there.
Agreed. They actually paid to open the Etihad lounge (which was not open at VA flight times) to take J and Platinum passengers. But it's full.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

More LAX lounge access changes...

Golds say goodbye to vouchers/points. I guess the accountants felt they were being way to generous with those. But say hello to lounge access. According to the website:

https://www.virginaustralia.com/nz/e...lounge-access/

J passengers and Gold members have access to the EY lounge.
Platinum passengers on the other hand will now have access to the EK lounge... Huh?!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:04 am

Very strange. One would think Platinums are in the middle of the pecking order and would either be paired with J or Gold, not be on their own.

As it stands though I am excited to try the Emirates lounge as it is new to me. The Etihad lounge crowding is unlikely to be much better just swapping the Platinums for Golds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.