Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Upgrading with Velocity Points vs. UpgradeMe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2016, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD

Just managed my first upgrade with Velocity Points, SYD-LAX. I was lucky enough to be on a K fare which just qualifies. 45,000 points one way. Pricey, but a big step up from economy.

UpgradeMe offered the same upgrade for a bid starting at $1550 USD one way. Not a great deal in my opinion, but made the upgrade with points seem like a much better option!

I am curious about the availability for both these upgrades. Previously there was no UpgradeMe offer for Business, only PE. And when I called back then there was not availability to upgrade with points to Business. When I saw it appear on UpgradeMe, I called and voila, there was space available now.

Does the UpgradeMe offer availability mirror points availability, or is this just a coincidence?

Looking forward to The Business over the Pacific. I've been on Delta One a few times but not since 2015, and too many economy miles in-between...
Old Dec 17, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Does the UpgradeMe offer availability mirror points availability, or is this just a coincidence? ...
I am not sure - Z class can often appear 5-7 days out for the points upgrade.

I am not sure where the UpgradeMe cash books into.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
VA is clearly desperate for UpgradeMe bids domestically during the holiday season. I have upgraded I think twice on SYD-MEL or SYD-BNE but I received an email inviting me to bid for an upgrade for a return SYD-MEL flight later this month. I can't remember the last time I received such an email - maybe once or twice in the past. Since they've downgraded earning rates for Status Credits they can whistle dixie to get more money out of me
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I saw UpgradeMe space yesterday so I tried to upgrade with points. No space available.

So I can answer my own question- UpgradeMe bidding availability does not mean points upgrades are available.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
The mechanism for controlling inventory for a redemption/points upgrade vs UpgradeMe bid is different.

A redemption/points upgrade requires seats to be available in the relevant redemption RBD; in this case Z. Generally this is managed by the airline's Revenue Management team and will be opened/closed to manage yield.

UpgradeMe uses a system called PlusGrade which has an algorithm to analyse bids, availability and forecasts to confirm upgrades. Whilst these also get confirmed into the same RBD, Z, depending on how the airline have configured it, it has the ability to oversell that booking class.

For example, there may be 5 seats left in business class, so J has 5 seats to sell, but Z is closed for redemptions. The airline may say that they're willing to accept all bids at -24 hours leaving 1 full fare J seat to sell on the day. The PlusGrade system has the ability to confirm the top 4 bids into Z class (taking the inventory from J).

The example I've used is purely hypothetical and each carrier will configure their rules differently, but illustrated the point.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Related question -- is there a better or worse time to submit an UpgradeMe request? I am considering this for an upcoming trip LAX-BNE. The trip is still 200 days away, but UpgradeMe is accepting bids.

The costs are pretty high with the lowest accepted "very weak" bid seeming to be around $725 outbound and $650 USD return...this on a $875 round trip Y ticket. Will these costs fluctuate between now and departure?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Related question -- is there a better or worse time to submit an UpgradeMe request? I am considering this for an upcoming trip LAX-BNE. The trip is still 200 days away, but UpgradeMe is accepting bids.

The costs are pretty high with the lowest accepted "very weak" bid seeming to be around $725 outbound and $650 USD return...this on a $875 round trip Y ticket. Will these costs fluctuate between now and departure?
The scale is set per route, so will not change between now and the flight.

I'm not 100% sure how VA's algorithm is configured, but I'd expect higher offers to be confirmed further out and lower ones to be confirmed much closer to departure if there are still seats available.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
For those intersted. The waitlist system worked for us on VA7. I noticed on expert flyer that at T-72 that a bunch of Business and Premium seats were released for sale, no reward seats showed up on the website. At around T-52 our points upgrades got approved and a previously sold out Y got 2 seats open, and now a few reward seats are available on the website. Just in before the Upgrade Bids get processed. ^
CPMaverick and ja1 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:54 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Speedbird676
The scale is set per route, so will not change between now and the flight.

I'm not 100% sure how VA's algorithm is configured, but I'd expect higher offers to be confirmed further out and lower ones to be confirmed much closer to departure if there are still seats available.
FWIW the scale did change for my HKG MEL flight in August, dropping significantly at around the two week before departure mark.
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.