Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Issuing VA ticket via TA in Switzerland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond

Hello.

Question to TA/GDS experts. I asked a TA in Switzerland to book a ticket on VA.

They are saying it is not possible, since Virgin Australia have no interline agreement with another carrier to be issued in GDS in Switzerland.

Are they crazy or is this me not understanding how it works ?
My understanding is that if a fare is not restricted to a specific point of sale (and this one is not, since I can find it in Matrix with point of sale set to ZRH) it can be issued by any TA. No need for any interline agreements, you simply issue a VA ticket on VA stock.

Thanks & regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Why can't you just book online on the VA site?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Why can't you just book online on the VA site?
Company policy?
Or, part of more complicated ticket? That would explain some of it... But I still think it is load of BS. Good TA should be able to do it.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:42 am

It is highly unlikely that a travel agent in Switzerland would have a VA plate to issue tickets. Most airlines in the fare rules would have a restriction to say – Must be issued on the ticket stock of VA ( or what ever airline the flight is) - some fares do allow other airlines stock to be used
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:46 am

For example here is a VA fare rule

SALES RESTRICTIONS

FOOTNOTE RULE
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/AFTER 01NOV16 AND ON/BEFORE
30NOV16.

FARE RULE
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF VA OR HR AND
MAY NOT BE SOLD IN CNCCR/AREA 2/AREA 1. AND MAY ONLY
BE SOLD IN AREA 3.
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED BY ELECTRONIC TICKETING.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
MUST COMPLY WITH TICKETING POLICY OF VALIDATING
CARRIER. CAN ONLY BE TICKETED IN COMBINATION WITH
VALIDATING CARRIERS OWN FARE EXCEPT IF TICKETED
ON VA AND HR.
----
TICKETS ALLOWED ON HR EXCEPT IN
DE/FR/GB/CH/CA/US/IE/NL/SG/NZ/AU
Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by williamsf1
It is highly unlikely that a travel agent in Switzerland would have a VA plate to issue tickets. Most airlines in the fare rules would have a restriction to say – Must be issued on the ticket stock of VA ( or what ever airline the flight is) - some fares do allow other airlines stock to be used
What century are you living in? I can't remember the last time I saw a paper ticket
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF
What century are you living in? I can't remember the last time I saw a paper ticket

correct ... plates / stock are all electronic these days ....still the terms used in the industry .... read the following post after my OP
Old Nov 18, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Hahn Air (HR) used to issue tickets in SG, but don't anymore (as evidenced by fare rules quoted above). As a result we contacted Velocity rep on Australian Frequent Flyer who got the right people in VA to contact the travel agent to set them up properly for ticketing on VA "stock" (ie. with VA ticket number). Is all good now, although granted it might be easier in SG and the TA in question was a major multi national agency.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
If I approached traditional "brick and mortar" TA and (s)he told me (s)he was unable to ticket VA flight on VA stock, I would run away really fast and look for another TA...
Old Nov 18, 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by vbroucek
If I approached traditional "brick and mortar" TA and (s)he told me (s)he was unable to ticket VA flight on VA stock, I would run away really fast and look for another TA...
I'd assume the TA's next move would be to offer an equivalent flight on a different airline because it offered a bigger commission
Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:10 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
VA does not participate in (most) European BSP's, so T/Agents cannot issue tickets on VA plate. HR can be used, but not for the lowest fares. Last time I bought ticket on expedia.com to avoid ridiculous Australian credit card surcharges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.