Wiki Posts
Search

Velocity points everywhere I look

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity
Velocity points everywhere I look

Is it just me or have Velocity points become so common that the bank I have been working on for years is cheapening by the day? You get them buying a car, signing a home loan, joining a gym and now they throw status credits in with your groceries??? The new fare classes were designed to flush out Gold/Platinum members but no more than two months later they're gifting it to people who might fly LESS than those losing their status. The only result of all of these giveaway points is that redemption on meaningful tickets becomes harder and harder.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Velocity is a separate company to Virgin and with different ownership. Selling frequent flyer miles/points for cash to airlines, credit card companies, retail outlets & others is a good profitable business. (Better than the airline business:-high capital & *** employees).
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

I'm not questioning the business and am well aware they are separate. Simply saying there are too many points out there now owned by people who have done very little flying to earn them.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by pointshark
The only result of all of these giveaway points is that redemption on meaningful tickets becomes harder and harder.
What "meaningful" redemptions are you targeting?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
You shouldn't treat your points as a 'bank'. Your points have been devalued faster than cash in a zero interest rate environment and saving them up to use a long tome in the future only results in pain.

All the ways you can earn Velocity points is similar to how you have been able to earn QFF points for a long time, including on mortgages. QFF earns more profit in certain years than Qantas makes from flying.

The best way to be rewarded for loyalty to an airline is to buy their fully flexible First or Business Class fares.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I'm not questioning the business and am well aware they are separate. Simply saying there are too many points out there now owned by people who have done very little flying to earn them.
If you are still saying that people don't 'fly' enough to earn points, it does seem that you are not really separating Velocity from Virgin Australia.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWFF
What "meaningful" redemptions are you targeting?
Return flights overseas in a class that I'd normally never pay for. What do you use yours for?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
You shouldn't treat your points as a 'bank'. Your points have been devalued faster than cash in a zero interest rate environment and saving them up to use a long tome in the future only results in pain.

All the ways you can earn Velocity points is similar to how you have been able to earn QFF points for a long time, including on mortgages. QFF earns more profit in certain years than Qantas makes from flying.

The best way to be rewarded for loyalty to an airline is to buy their fully flexible First or Business Class fares.
I 'bank' the points rather than spend them on useless purchases. What do you use yours for?
Once again - not questioning Velocity's profitability.
Buying fully flexible tickets does not earn you any more loyalty from the airline, it simply gets you rewards quicker with more legroom in the process.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
If you are still saying that people don't 'fly' enough to earn points, it does seem that you are not really separating Velocity from Virgin Australia.
No I am. You're just not reading it correctly.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
I 'bank' the points rather than spend them on useless purchases. What do you use yours for?
I lost hundreds of thousands of points when Ansett went under, and watch helplessly as my points with QF, AA, DL and other programs lose their utility whenever they 'enhance' their 'loyalty' programs. They are marketing and data mining schemes and as soon as I have enough to redeem for a flight I'm taking and can reduce the cost, I do that and bank the saving rather than the points.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:03 am

Return flights overseas in a class that I'd normally never pay for. What do you use yours for?
I regard Velocity as a largely domestic airline (including NZ which I regard as a domestic destination) and a single overseas destination - LA. Other flights are all operated by partners who will make seat availability much more for their own members than their partners such as Virgin. SQ is a prime example - plenty of availability if you log on to KF, woeful availability via Velocity, and that's always been the case
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:06 pm

I regard Velocity as a largely domestic airline (including NZ which I regard as a domestic destination) and a single overseas destination - LA. Other flights are all operated by partners who will make seat availability much more for their own members than their partners such as Virgin. SQ is a prime example - plenty of availability if you log on to KF, woeful availability via Velocity, and that's always been the case
But Velocity allows transfer to KF, so that isn't a huge burden (maybe slightly increased redemption cost if anything).

I'm not sure the partner availability is THAT bad. Certainly Etihad and Delta have been approximately equal when comparing direction redemption with Velocity redemption from my experience.

BTW Velocity is not an airline...
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Is it just me or have Velocity points become so common that the bank I have been working on for years is cheapening by the day? You get them buying a car, signing a home loan, joining a gym and now they throw status credits in with your groceries???

The new fare classes were designed to flush out Gold/Platinum members but no more than two months later they're gifting it to people who might fly LESS than those losing their status. The only result of all of these giveaway points is that redemption on meaningful tickets becomes harder and harder.
Ever looked at what happens with USA flyer plans?

Velocity is tame.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I'm not sure the partner availability is THAT bad. Certainly Etihad and Delta have been approximately equal when comparing direction redemption with Velocity redemption from my experience.
I'm only interested in flying SQ so that is the only comparison I make
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:55 am

I'm only interested in flying SQ so that is the only comparison I make
Since Velocity points can be transferred to KF, its quite a silly complaint to say that you can find the flights on KF that you want, but not with VA. So transfer your points and book them then. Easy. Ok so there may be a small loss in the transfer rate but that is an entirely different complaint to saying flights aren't available to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.