Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

How much time for "Do It Myself" connection in SYD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC

Greetings,

This is my first time wandering to this forum so please feel free to redirect me if appropriate.

My girlfriend and I are going to be celebrating our anniversary in Australia this coming March (first time in Aus for both of us). We're starting in Sydney, spending a couple days in Cairns, and finishing the trip in Melbourne.

Since Star Alliance is useless for intra-Australia flights, I'm using my Delta Skymiles account to book trips on Virgin Australia, but Delta had no VA award availability for CNS-MEL or CNS-SYD-MEL, but I've booked SYD-CNS-SYD and it looks like there's plenty of SYD-MEL availability so I'm planning on booking that as a separate ticket on the same day.

Since I have no experience with Australian airport formalities or SYD in particular I'm wondering how much time to allow for delays, collecting and rechecking our luggage (1 bag each), re-clearing security, etc.? Is 90-120 minutes too optimistic?

Or is there a better way to go about this?

Thank you in advance!

Lincoln
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Firstly I presume you booked online.

I have seen where DL.com will not allow the booking more than one domestic VA segment at a time while there is availability over two. Generally you do need to call Skymiles to have this done.

Secondly, if you have two bookings - VA-xVA then it is likely they will check your bags through - just have both e-tickets with you on check-in in Melbourne.

To collect bags and recheck at SYD Domestic, I would allow no less than 1½ hours between flights.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
.., I'm using my Delta Skymiles account to book trips on Virgin Australia, but Delta had no VA award availability for CNS-MEL or CNS-SYD-MEL, but I've booked SYD-CNS-SYD and it looks like there's plenty of SYD-MEL availability so I'm planning on booking that as a separate ticket on the same day.
If considering using DL miles for SYD-MEL also consider a cash booking (com.au) to determine if you are getting good value for your DL miles.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:23 pm

Or is there a better way to go about this?
Absolutely!

Why are you booking a SYD return?! Just book it as a one way as paid fare. As for CNS-MEL book with one of the 4 airlines (QF/VA/JQ/TT) that do a nonstop to MEL. They're all pretty cheap.

Domestic travel in Australia is unlike that in the US. I think using miles for these flights presents an extremely poor value.

Search for fares on XP AU or on the respective airline websites as not all fares are available on US-based OTAs.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
To answer your question, a domestic connection with VA in SYD is very very easy. If both tickets are on VA, they will check bags through for you. If you can, just bring a carry-on (there are no liquid restrictions domestically in Oz).

The bigger question is what about delays; you might play it safe and give yourself 2.5 hours just for that. But if your flights are all VA and all on-time, 60 minutes would be plenty.

Consider booking CNS-MEL as a revenue ticket. You will probably find it is a better value than Delta miles, and will save you some hassle. VA is very accommodating to Delta elites but if you don't have Delta status, there is little reason to choose VA over another carrier.

Do you have any AA miles? I think you can book QF one-way for 10k AA miles still, which might be a good option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.