Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Approach at AYQ

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Approach at AYQ

I'll be flying into AYQ from SYD. I wonder where to sit to be able to see the Ayers Rock from the plane. The airport is north to the Rock - is it possible to see it at all? Which direction do planes usually land/take off?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The runway is North-West of Uluru - often flights land directly from the East, so Left side.

Of course there are no gaurantees.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
i had the same question! And right side for takeoff then?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
i had the same question! And right side for takeoff then?
Yep, did it today (on Qantas though). I wasn't impressed with Uluru. Loved the rest of the parts of Australia that I visited!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
Yep, did it today (on Qantas though). I wasn't impressed with Uluru. Loved the rest of the parts of Australia that I visited!
Foreigners don't always get Uluru: for Aussies it's in our DNA . I'll never forget the first time I saw it

Left side arriving, right departing is the best option, but returning to Sydney the best view is often from the left, so no loss either way
Old Sep 10, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Foreigners don't always get Uluru: for Aussies it's in our DNA . I'll never forget the first time I saw it

Left side arriving, right departing is the best option, but returning to Sydney the best view is often from the left, so no loss either way
update - I did left in and right out, with fabulous views both times. Loved Uluru.

Thanks for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.