Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

First time on VA and first time in Australia - advice needed!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC

Flying VA J LAX-CNS and have the option to connect in either BNE or SYD. I have two questions and would appreciate any advice:

1). Connecting from Int'l to domestic flights, which is easier and a more pleasant experience - SYD or BNE

2). Both the LAX-SYD and LAX-BNE are operated by the same plane (77W). However, I wanted others opinions on which route they preferred and felt had better crews and catering on. My sense is that both LAX-SYD and SYD-CNS would be a little more high-profile and polished than LAX-BNE and BNE-CNS, but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BNE. LAX-BNE-CNS should be quicker than LAX-SYD-CNS depending on transit time.
Transiting at SYD can never be considered an "easier and a more pleasant experience"

Would not expect any difference in service on the routes. BNE is the home base for VA
Old Mar 2, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
As a Sydney resident, I would pick Brisbane. In fact, im flying SYD>BRI>LAX next month.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
BNE. LAX-BNE-CNS should be quicker than LAX-SYD-CNS depending on transit time.
Transiting at SYD can never be considered an "easier and a more pleasant experience"

Would not expect any difference in service on the routes. BNE is the home base for VA
Originally Posted by Osmo
As a Sydney resident, I would pick Brisbane. In fact, im flying SYD>BRI>LAX next month.
Thank you for the tips!
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Osmo
That's one hell of detour

BRI = Bari Airport, Bari, IT
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Neither airport is wonderful for DOM <> INT transits, but BNE is definitely the lesser of the two evils.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Both options will result in a terminal change, SYD its by bus - you turn left outside Customs and head to the check in desk, take the provided bus into the VA terminal.

Brisbane its clear customs take the train to the domestic terminal.

Either way the transit is pretty much one of the same
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I went with LAX-BNE-CNS. I'm so excited to visit Australia.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: Qantas
Different view

Having done these options a few times I would plonk for Sydney.

However this Is only if you can use the direct to lounge option (platinum gold I think) and you're luggage is checked through

This is so much quicker than going through domestic.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by user29
Having done these options a few times I would plonk for Sydney.

However this Is only if you can use the direct to lounge option (platinum gold I think) and you're luggage is checked through

This is so much quicker than going through domestic.
Rubbish... You cannot have luggage checked through... You have to do immigration and customs at the first point of entry to Australia... That's the law!!!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is not the law - if may work out effectively so for VA-VA I-D connection but customs and immigration is performed at the last airport where arrival is at an international terminal

There are domestic sectors in some cases which depart from an international terminal and if connecting to those with bags checked through would not clear immigration until after the domestic flight

As far as connecting at BNE vs SYD , seems much the same, but for LAX-CNS would choose BNE since it is 700 miles shorter
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Either way the transit is pretty much one of the same
I agree. I do the Sydney change to domestic very often it takes ten minutes. You literally come out of arrivals and board a shuttle bus called the TBus that costs 5$. You get the ticket from a machine where it departs. Beware if you need a trolley you need to pay for it and you don't get all your money back! Which is ridiculous if you ask me, some other airports are like this primarily in America. Anyway you need a few dollars on you think its six for the trolley if you need, 5 for the buss.

Brisbane is much the same except its the Airtrain and rather quicker but its all by minutes, it also cost 5$.

I wouldn't decide on my arrivals based on the transit.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
That is not the law - if may work out effectively so for VA-VA I-D connection but customs and immigration is performed at the last airport where arrival is at an international terminal
OK, technically you are right, but for given OP's question, you are wrong... OP will have to do immigration either in SYD or BNE!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
OK, technically you are right, but for given OP's question, you are wrong... OP will have to do immigration either in SYD or BNE!
I cannot be both right and wrong ; there is nothing incorrect in what I posted that I can see
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Anton Von Bresson
I agree. I do the Sydney change to domestic very often it takes ten minutes. You literally come out of arrivals and board a shuttle bus called the TBus that costs 5$. You get the ticket from a machine where it departs. Beware if you need a trolley you need to pay for it and you don't get all your money back! Which is ridiculous if you ask me, some other airports are like this primarily in America. Anyway you need a few dollars on you think its six for the trolley if you need, 5 for the buss.

Brisbane is much the same except its the Airtrain and rather quicker but its all by minutes, it also cost 5$.

I wouldn't decide on my arrivals based on the transit.
You do not need to pay for a luggage trolley at Sydney International Baggage Reclaim ( not sure about BNE but istr that they are free there too )

At the terminals where luggage trolleys are charged for , there is no refund on return - there is simply a rental fee for the trolley ; there are some exceptions such as using an American Express Platinum Card at Sydney airport where the fee is waived

When I have done VA-VA D-I connection at BNE, VA has provided a ticket wallet type thing at check in which has a voucher allowing free travel on the train between the 2 terminals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.