Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Denied Boarding by EY due to VA "System Error"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

I had a rather infuriating situation happen today. My wife and I, and it turns out 4 others, were flying TBU to DUB via SYD and AUH. SYD to DUB is operated by EY. No problems until we went to board in AUH to DUB. They stated we were not checked in and could not board, despite boarding passes being issued in TBU. Everyone's boarding pass errored out as not checked in. Luggage was tagged to DUB as well.

EY blamed a system error by VA that never communicated our checkin. This made little sense to me considering EY flew us from SYD to AUH without issue. Eventually we were rerouted via LHR to DUB, arriving 8 hours late, too late for me to make my connection on a separate ticket. EY placed all the blame on VA and VA has so far been difficult to reach.

My question is, who completely failed here? I would like to be compensated for my extra expenses considering I did nothing wrong here and if not for this erroneous IDB, I would be home typing this and not in a Dublin hotel.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You might get something from EY, however since it is non an EU carrier there is little in mandated compensation

EY is unlikely to accept liability for consequetial losses such as the unrelated ticket from DUB or hotel in DUB since it was the destination to which EY was contracted to get you to
Old Nov 25, 2014, 7:55 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
How tight was the connection in AUH? Sounds to me like you might have been offloaded or bumped perhaps. The "not checked in" thing does sound a little weird if the bag was tagged and you had a BP.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As a non-EU carrier originating outside the EU, EC 261/2004 does not apply. Therefore, no compensation.

You are then stuck with whatever customer service gesture one or both carriers might choose to give you. This is a finger-pointing exercise and neither will admit fault.

My recommendation is to do a short -- stress short -- submission which states facts with absolutely no assumptions, e.g., the issue about having flown prior segments without issue and lists the additional expenses you incurred along with an offer to submit receipts if desired. Do not refer to this as IDB or any other legal conclusion as that will simply result in an immediate denial.

You will not be compensated for these consequential losses as your ticket was to DUB, not beyond, but those expenses may lead to some bit of help.

You may also want to look at your travel insurance policy or the benefits associated with the CC used to pay for the tickets to determine whether there is coverage for the hotel and the like.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justin_krusty
How tight was the connection in AUH? Sounds to me like you might have been offloaded or bumped perhaps. The "not checked in" thing does sound a little weird if the bag was tagged and you had a BP.
Approximately 4 hours. The flight was half full, perhaps a bit more.

As a non-EU carrier originating outside the EU, EC 261/2004 does not apply. Therefore, no compensation.

You are then stuck with whatever customer service gesture one or both carriers might choose to give you. This is a finger-pointing exercise and neither will admit fault.

My recommendation is to do a short -- stress short -- submission which states facts with absolutely no assumptions, e.g., the issue about having flown prior segments without issue and lists the additional expenses you incurred along with an offer to submit receipts if desired. Do not refer to this as IDB or any other legal conclusion as that will simply result in an immediate denial.

You will not be compensated for these consequential losses as your ticket was to DUB, not beyond, but those expenses may lead to some bit of help.

You may also want to look at your travel insurance policy or the benefits associated with the CC used to pay for the tickets to determine whether there is coverage for the hotel and the like.
This is pretty much what I have done. EY has been MUCH more responsive than Virgin, both on social media and via email. It seems starting via social media has definitely gotten the ball rolling and EY has admitted to the problem in the codeshare system. Whether this is on VA or EY's side, I have no idea. There were a group of 6 of us who had this happen, plus two others on Air New Zealand tickets. It seems there must have been one rather large foul up....I will report when things are finalized, ie, any monies are paid.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Approximately 4 hours. The flight was half full, perhaps a bit more.

This is pretty much what I have done. EY has been MUCH more responsive than Virgin, both on social media and via email. It seems starting via social media has definitely gotten the ball rolling and EY has admitted to the problem in the codeshare system. Whether this is on VA or EY's side, I have no idea. There were a group of 6 of us who had this happen, plus two others on Air New Zealand tickets. It seems there must have been one rather large foul up....I will report when things are finalized, ie, any monies are paid.
Doesn't the fact that it happened to both VA and NZ issued tickets imply that the code share problem was at the Etihad end and not the Virgin end?

That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue Virgin Australia as it's their responsibility for selling you a ticket and not delivering here but the implication from the evidence is that Etihad stuffed up. Or am I missing something?
Old Nov 28, 2014, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qwertyuiop
Doesn't the fact that it happened to both VA and NZ issued tickets imply that the code share problem was at the Etihad end and not the Virgin end?

That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue Virgin Australia as it's their responsibility for selling you a ticket and not delivering here but the implication from the evidence is that Etihad stuffed up. Or am I missing something?
It appears that way, but 6 of us where on VA tickets, 3 groups of 2 who just happened to meet after being denied boarding. I don't know much about the Air New Zealand couple or their ticket. It does appear, based on their help so far, to be EY's fault. Perhaps this thread should be closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.