Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Checking luggage

I spoke to a lady at the Virgin Australia call centre this morning and asked if I could make sure our luggage wasn't checked all the way through from LAX to Auckland, as I'd like access to it during our Sydney stop over. (We're not going to take the last flight from Sydney to Auckland, because we live in Australia, but this was a really cheap flight if booked from AKL to LAX return)

She told me that it was up to the discretion of the person checking us in, and couldn't guarantee it. So I'd like to know if anyone has ever had any trouble NOT getting their luggage checked through?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone had access to their luggage at a connection?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Doesn't one have to pull all baggage to clear customs and quarantine at SYD before re-checking it for onward journeys anyways?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by immiLawyer
Doesn't one have to pull all baggage to clear customs and quarantine at SYD before re-checking it for onward journeys anyways?
Not on an international connection within Australia - there are no immigration or customs processes to follow, only airside Transit security (LAGS, WTMD etc.).

In the OP's case, luggage would ordinarily be checked through from LAX to AKL.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I can see no reason why the check in person at LAX would have an issue tagging your bag SYD - if you explain why
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by adampenrith
I can see no reason why the check in person at LAX would have an issue tagging your bag SYD - if you explain why
But do not give them the real reason...
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by immiLawyer
Australia and New Zealand are two different countries, if you don't happen to know... So no customs for the OP...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.