Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

DL Gold Medallion Benefits flying VA Domestic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat

My apologies if this should be posted in the Delta Forum, but thought I would try my luck here.

I will be booking travel from BNE to SYD and then onward to MEL. With that, I was speaking to a VA ticketing agent yesterday, and they were unsure if I would:
A. get any baggage allowance and
B. be granted any lounge access in BNE and SYD.

We were looking to book Saver Lite fares. Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Jun 2, 2014, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Yes (but only with same day international travel) to the lounge access, not sure about Baggage.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 11, 2014 at 6:20 pm
Old Jun 11, 2014, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by serfty
Yes to the lounge access, not sure about Baggage.
Thanks. A second call to VA confirmed the lounge access as well. A second call also found another agent that had no clue on what bags I would be allowed to bring aboard or check without charge. I might just say forget it and book the traditional saver fares for the baggage allowance.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I found this link: PARTNER AIRLINE ELITE BENEFITS

"Extra Baggage" is not listed as a Medallion benefit when travelling on Virgin Australia.

As a contrast it is for some other partners such as KLM.

Also, that indicates lounge access needs to be same day as international travel. I apologise for wrong information.

Last edited by serfty; Jun 11, 2014 at 6:21 pm
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by serfty
Also, that indicates lounge access needs to be same day as international travel. I apologise for wrong information.
Though Delta has never listed lounge access in conjunction with a VA domestic flight as a Medallion benefit, VA has always granted it to me without batting an eye.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: DL KM (charter)
http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...lta-air-lines/

Expand the two marks for Lounge Access and Baggage.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by immiLawyer
http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...lta-air-lines/

Expand the two marks for Lounge Access and Baggage.
Perhaps I am missing it, but it does not make any mention of what the allowances are for DL Medallion members as far as I can tell.

It does provide clarity on the lounge situation--thank you for that!
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Perhaps I am missing it, but it does not make any mention of what the allowances are for DL Medallion members as far as I can tell.

It does provide clarity on the lounge situation--thank you for that!
That's because there is no written status-based baggage allowance on VA for DL elites. Some here have reported success, but I've never counted on it. I'd plan to be treated as Velocity Red for baggage purposes and see the allowance chart. Also remember that, although the upfare from Saver Lite (no bags) to Saver (1 bag) is typically $10-$15 at ticket purchase, the first additional bag is $35 if purchased after ticketing but before the airport and $70 at the airport.

If you do check a bag, they priority tag it for DL Golds. However, my experience with VA is that priority tags don't matter much domestically because all bags often beat me to the baggage claim, and if they don't, typical wait is less than 5 minutes.

Also note that any baggage allowance would apply to the elite member only: unlike on US airlines, extra baggage allowances for VA elites on VA do not translate to others on the same reservation.

Last edited by ashill; Jul 6, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
That's because there is no written status-based baggage allowance on VA for DL elites. Some here have reported success, but I've never counted on it. I'd plan to be treated as Velocity Red for baggage purposes and see the allowance chart. Also remember that, although the upfare from Saver Lite (no bags) to Saver (1 bag) is typically $10-$15 at ticket purchase, the first additional bag is $35 if purchased after ticketing but before the airport and $70 at the airport.

If you do check a bag, they priority tag it for DL Golds. However, my experience with VA is that priority tags don't matter much domestically because all bags often beat me to the baggage claim, and if they don't, typical wait is less than 5 minutes.

Also note that any baggage allowance would apply to the elite member only: unlike on US airlines, extra baggage allowances for VA elites on VA do not translate to others on the same reservation.

Thank you very much--extremely helpful!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ashill
Though Delta has never listed lounge access in conjunction with a VA domestic flight as a Medallion benefit, VA has always granted it to me without batting an eye.
Did you have to show them a physical card or was having the SkyMiles number in the reservation sufficient?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Coathanger
Did you have to show them a physical card or was having the SkyMiles number in the reservation sufficient?
I normally have the physical card and they normally ask for it, so I've never done the test. Paper VA boarding passes do list Delta status. (For me, a Delta Platinum, they say "Partner Gold", ie the equivalent of VA Gold.) I suspect you'd be fine without the physical card, but it's certainly smooth with the card.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks for the info ashill. Reassuring to know that Partner Gold shows up on the boarding pass itself for DL Plats.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 1:58 am
Original Poster

So I finished my travels on VA and thought I would report back. When we ultimately booked our ticket that agent said I would be granted a free bag as a gold (and that my friend would be granted one as well as Silver). When we arrived at the airport, we simply let the check in agent know what we were told, and he allowed for the free bags. (He would have charged us otherwise).

We had zero issues at all using the lounge as a gold with a guest. I found the overall experience with VA to be quite pleasant, and certainly more enjoyable than what I am accustomed to on DL.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Question: do velocity members baggage allowance apply to other non status members in the same reservation?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by NWA_Junkie
Question: do velocity members baggage allowance apply to other non status members in the same reservation?
Same answer here as in the other thread: No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.