Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin Aus--Biz Class ?? from LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:37 pm

I'm inclined to agree - I booked row 2 on the way up and had no real choice on the way back so am on row 1 HK (which is offset and a little behind - hopefully should help).

The other thing to note is that I could not change the seat allocations through Delta's website (I had to call their local office) - not sure if this is typical? Is there a way to get a Virgin PNR to do so on the VA site?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by nong23
... Is there a way to get a Virgin PNR to do so on the VA site?
Not for about 2 months.

You currently need to call.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm inclined to agree - I booked row 2 on the way up and had no real choice on the way back so am on row 1 HK (which is offset and a little behind - hopefully should help).

The other thing to note is that I could not change the seat allocations through Delta's website (I had to call their local office) - not sure if this is typical? Is there a way to get a Virgin PNR to do so on the VA site?
For some reason, I was able to change seats on VA through the Delta iPhone App but not at Delta.com.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Have done both carriers. Not surprisingly, VA has better service and food. I find the DL seat to be much more comfortable. The VA seat isn't exactly a fully "flat" surface and I find it rock hard and uncomfortable (I also find the domestic J seat similarly uncomfortable). Plus, because the VA J tray table is in an armrest that adjusts up/down, the seat's been programmed to not allow any movement (legrest, backrest) once the tray table is out. So, you can't adjust your seat at all during meal service. I also prefer the DL herringbone config (for privacy). Also, VA's 2-3-2 config mean that someone's stuck in a middle seat ... and, alot of pax aren't on an aisle. So, for seat, DL wins (for me) hands down. The only reason I think VA went for these old-school lie-flats (and not the herringbones found on VS) is that they needed the seats quickly.

I also found DL's IFE to be slightly better in terms of range.

Overall, I give DL and VA equal scores (based on the items important to me).
Old May 1, 2013, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the response SFO. Trip is fast approaching and am pretty excited! I called the Virgin and Delta teams, who assure me I can use the Virgin America lounge at LAX. I still can't view/change my booking on the V Australia site nor over the phone - I take it this is normal based on other people's experiences.

Anyone else flown this route recently - feel free to post experiences!

I have a reasonable layover in LAX ~(5-6 hours of free time) on the way back, and since I am on a DL ticket (codeshared with VA) - can I use other lounges? E.g. Air New Zealand, Virgin America, V Australia (if they have one), Delta - or any of the others? Can anyone recommend a solid lounge to use there - I understand some have been refurbished?
Old May 2, 2013, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you arrive into T5 at LAX, you may be able to access the Skyclub there before heading over to T3 (The VX lounge has no showers, DL has).

No access to NZ lounge as you can't access T2.

VA don;t have a lounge.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:55 am

Yep that seems to make sense! I am arriving via US Airways in T1 on return from PHL. Can anyone confirm if these options are correct once I'm out of T1 with baggage:

- Turn up to T5 and use the Delta lounge, then proceed to board/check-in at T3 (where VA departs). Or can I checkin/bag-drop earlier elsewhere and then use the Delta lounge?

- Either after using the DL lounge in T5 or direct from T1, I can go to T3 and use the VX lounge up until boarding?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Cheers
Old May 2, 2013, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You basically can't get from T1 to T5 unless you have a flight departing from there.

Obvious option is to simply walk from T1 to T3 (or take the 'A' bus), check in, go back through T3 security and use the VX lounge.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:32 pm

Perfect I think that's what I'll do. Also on a side note, I have a Qantas Club Membership (separately sponsored - so independent of my status) and I have a return AA flight to/from Mexico flying Y.

Will I be able to access the Admirals Lounge in LAX on departure/arrival with my QC membership? Similarly I'm flying cross-country from PHL to LAX on USAirways - would I be able to use the USAirways/Admirals Lounge in PHL?

Sorry to highjack my own post!

Cheers,

Neel
Old May 7, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry to highjack my own post!

Cheers,

Neel
It's also the wrong forum for such a question, although there's many reading this who would know the answers. (Yes & No)
Old May 7, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by CVGREF
Cabin Configuration - This is the only thing superior about DL's product. In the DL cabin, the configuration is 1-2-1, so every seat has direct access to the aisle. VA's cabin is configured 2-3-2, so there is a fair chance someone will have to climb over you, or you will have to climb over someone to get out. I was lucky both flights on VA, in that I had an aisle in the center section and the middle seat was empty.

for this long of a flight, direct aisle access trumps all- sleep and space is what I am paying for. DL would be my choice as nothing else matters for me!
Old May 7, 2013, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
It's also the wrong forum for such a question, although there's many reading this who would know the answers. (Yes & No)
Of course. I'll re-post in the other forums.
Old May 23, 2013, 4:00 pm

I managed to book LAX-MEL, MEL-SYD, SYD-LAX all in business on all virgin flights for my wife and I at 150,000 skymiles apiece, yay!

Few questions:
1) do i have to call VA to get seats assigned? I can't seem to do it on the delta site, when I open up the itinerary and click on "seats" it just endlessly thinks and won't pull up the map.
2) I couldn't get LAS-LAX segments either way with the same miles, so was going to fly SW and use companion pass for wife. Any suggestion of how many hours we should arrive at LAX before out MEL flight?
3) can we use either the delta or virgin lounge before the MEL flight?

I have no status with either airline.

Thanks for any help!
Old May 23, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by growlers
I managed to book LAX-MEL, MEL-SYD, SYD-LAX all in business on all virgin flights for my wife and I at 150,000 skymiles apiece, yay!

Few questions:
1) do i have to call VA to get seats assigned? I can't seem to do it on the delta site, when I open up the itinerary and click on "seats" it just endlessly thinks and won't pull up the map.

No idea someone will be able to help

2) I couldn't get LAS-LAX segments either way with the same miles, so was going to fly SW and use companion pass for wife. Any suggestion of how many hours we should arrive at LAX before out MEL flight?

No later than 2 but between 2 and 3 to be safe.

3) can we use either the delta or virgin lounge before the MEL flight?

You will be able to access VX lounge used by VA

I have no status with either airline.

Yes you do? Same as mine "Dirt"

Thanks for any help!
Old May 23, 2013, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by growlers

Few questions:
1) do i have to call VA to get seats assigned? I can't seem to do it on the delta site, when I open up the itinerary and click on "seats" it just endlessly thinks and won't pull up the map. ...
Almost certainly, even those here in Oz have to call VA to (re/)assign seating if not done on booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.