Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Australia | Velocity
Reload this Page >

Virgin Australia to give Velocity status credits on reward flights"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond

Only until June 30...but still pretty handy if you want to get up to platinum!

http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austr...reward-flights
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Originally Posted by jozdemir
Only until June 30...but still pretty handy if you want to get up to platinum!

http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-austr...reward-flights
I am flying to/from Australia on Virgin using a Delta reward. But since these flights are booked on Virgin would they earn me status credits?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by nissan720
I am flying to/from Australia on Virgin using a Delta reward. But since these flights are booked on Virgin would they earn me status credits?
Afraid not, no -- so far as I can tell, the promotion is for Velocity Rewards members spending Velocity points on flights (+ flying on said flights) between 13 January and 30 June.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notzac
Afraid not, no -- so far as I can tell, the promotion is for Velocity Rewards members spending Velocity points on flights (+ flying on said flights) between 13 January and 30 June.
That's the way I read it too, it doesn't apply to other FF program members booking award flights on VA.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Originally Posted by notzac
Apparently it will work:

See this blog post: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pointm...award-flights/

With my flights and a family account I could pick up platinum status just for going on a delta reward trip.... Now if I could only find someone to let me use their address
Old Jan 20, 2013, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Apparently it will work:

With my flights and a family account I could pick up platinum status just for going on a delta reward trip.... Now if I could only find someone to let me use their address
Wow, this is great. Could also work for matching status with another carrier once you hit VA Platinum. Do you earn credit on the partner flights? The VA link says so, but I dont have a confirmation on that. Will be traveling on a KL award ticket (booked with DL miles) and would love to see if I can pick up VA miles for the trip.

I wonder if it has to include a VA segment on the itinerary though??
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Apparently it will work:

That's interesting, I've got some SQ flights to book with my VA points...but I'm not convinced it'll work due to the fare classes.

If you need an Aussie address to use let me know - but the T&Cs for the Family Pooling say it has to be people living at the same address. Whilst they didn't ask for proof of mine - that's not to say they wouldn't. Just letting you know mate!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Apparently it will work:

If you are requesting retroactive credit or credit for something that does not post, I have a feeling they will send the ticket into Delta to check and see if it is eligible. If you can put the number in beforehand, you have a better chance, but if nothing posts I don't think Delta is going to alert VA this is eligible for credit.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Virgin emailed me recently about award seats being 30% or whatever less points than usual for a short time.

Does anyone recall what expiry of that was?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
expired end of Dec then extended to early January IIRC.

Finished for now ...
Old Mar 6, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold
Just wanted to add that the status credits are applicable to fare class as well. Booked a Business reward for SYD-BNE (under 750 miles) and got 40 status credits, which is what is listed for Business/First on a route of that length. For just 13,800 points, it's quite an easy way to boost your status credit count.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 6:05 pm

That's interesting, I've got some SQ flights to book with my VA points...but I'm not convinced it'll work due to the fare classes.
Did it work?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Did it work?
From the terms and conditions, it's completely unambiguous that that won't work:

To be eligible for this offer, you must book and travel on a Virgin Australia (VA) marketed and operated flight in a Reward Seat Fare Class (X, P or Z) between 13 January and 30 June 2013, and all flights must be booked and ticketed directly by Velocity Frequent Flyer (featuring a ticket number beginning with "795").
That means Velocity points redeemed for a VA marketed and operated flight is the only situation this promo applies to.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Did it work?
I canned the reservation in the end so I'll never find out. By my assumption is that it wouldn't now because it's booked into a different fare class, I
Old Mar 7, 2013, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by ashill
From the terms and conditions, it's completely unambiguous that that won't work:

That means Velocity points redeemed for a VA marketed and operated flight is the only situation this promo applies to.
I am aware of the conditions (specifically mentions the ticket has be to VA stock). But that blog on Delta threw the spanner into the works, unless VA changed these conditions later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.