Wiki Posts
Search

limited seat choice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:11 am
Original Poster

limited seat choice

Hi all

I am a Gold FF and since the change over to the new booking system I can no longer choose seats in the first few rows of economy? Is this a glitch or a permanent feature. This is a significant down ground. At least with Qantas (I am Platinum) I can choose the emergency exits with no charge! Might have to move my business back to them!

Cheers
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
It appears that like QF, the first few rows are reserved for Platinums.
Unlike QF, VA doesn't have a free for all at t-80
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
4 rows seems a bit excessive in a small plane.

BA does it well, with the first row reserved for Golds (Platinum equivalent) until T-72. I think that's fair enough. Blocking rows 3-6 seems a bit over the top. Flying QF you at least get the chance to get the equivalent blocked seats at T-80

Also, it's not ideal that this change was made without any notice.

Last edited by wyvern; Feb 7, 2013 at 8:06 am
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:08 am
Original Poster

it appears to be a glitch from the switch over to sabre. They are trying to fix it.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
I can't even get to select seats until I check in. How do you get the system to give you the option?

And what is with this double log in for my bookings. Pretty poor really.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sailrob81
I can't even get to select seats until I check in. How do you get the system to give you the option?

And what is with this double log in for my bookings. Pretty poor really.
It is poor - they sent an email this week spruiking the new system: (http://www.velocityrewards.com.au/co...cityNews_SL1-2)
Changes to Advance Seat Selection and introduction of Preferential Seating ¹
You can now select your seat at the time of booking free of charge, or at the time of check-in. Following a booking, you can make a seat selection by calling the Guest Contact Centre.
On flights marketed and operated by Virgin Australia you can also select your preferred seat from reserved zones, which are determined by your Velocity membership level and the fare class booked.
When making a flight booking with Virgin Australia, including any bookings using Points, you will need to login to your Velocity Account via the panel on the right hand side of the page when selecting your preferred flights. This will ensure the appropriate seats available for your level of membership are displayed correctly.

¹ Preferential Seating and Advance Seat Selection is at all times subject to availability of requested seats.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Velocity Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by raycuz
Hi all

I am a Gold FF and since the change over to the new booking system I can no longer choose seats in the first few rows of economy? Is this a glitch or a permanent feature. This is a significant down ground. At least with Qantas (I am Platinum) I can choose the emergency exits with no charge! Might have to move my business back to them!

Cheers
I have the same problem, I rang the guest contact centre and was told that rows 3 to 5 on the 737 800 is reserved for Platinum frequent flyers and the rows after 7 were reserved for Golf frequent flyers. I cant even go in and advance select online.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Eeek might be time to swing back to Qantas :-(
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
It's definitely not an enhancement if you are gold. Opening up the plat seats at T-80 or T-72 that would be an improvement - but then you can't seem to change seat selection after booking (this is a major flaw with the new arrangements).

It is a shame because until recently I got a lot of row 3 seats - which suggests that there are not so many plats flying in Y on some of these flights, and perhaps reserving one row until T-72 might be more appropriate than reserving 4 rows until check-in...

Some of VA's advantages over Qantas seem to be disappearing.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: QFF Velocity
First VA trip post Sabre implementation. Im Platinum, so was able to select 3C on the E190 at time of booking. All good. Go to do online check-in T-18 and notice i've been booted to 4C. Was able to move myself back to another free seat in row 3. But why the boot? Ive heard reports of people being shuffled after pre-selecting, but this was the first for me.

Post script: i was moved because a man and his guide dog required the seats. yes, I feel like a dill and am taking my humble pie with extra cream. Very happy to be moved again in future should similar circumstances arise.

Last edited by Dontprocrastinateaviate; Feb 12, 2013 at 3:43 am Reason: because i'm a dill sometimes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: VA Plat, TK E, HH Dia, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Dontprocrastinateaviate
First VA trip post Sabre implementation. Im Platinum, so was able to select 3C on the E190 at time of booking. All good. Go to do online check-in T-18 and notice i've been booted to 4C. Was able to move myself back to another free seat in row 3. But why the boot? Ive heard reports of people being shuffled after pre-selecting, but this was the first for me.

Post script: i was moved because a man and his guide dog required the seats. yes, I feel like a dill and am taking my humble pie with extra cream. Very happy to be moved again in future should similar circumstances arise.
That's a good thing to add. I'm pleased you didn't switch to a rant about people with guide dogs stealing your status perks
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Velocity Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hilton Diamond
I travelled on Saturday SYD – MLB and back MLB – SYD. The night before departure I was able to select 4C from chekin, on the way back I was able to select 3E upon checkin. So it seems you can choose a closer seat just before departure.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was that OLCI or at the airport?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Was that OLCI or at the airport?
OLCI
Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanthony
OLCI
Well - that's a considerable improvement the OLCI seat offerings in late January.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.