Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No More Loss of Miles When Cancelling!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2013, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
No More Loss of Miles When Cancelling!?!?!

I was putting together a summary of Virgin Atlantic Flying Club for my blog when I happened upon the terms & conditions, which now seem to state:

4.2.1 Once reward tickets are issued, you may amend your travel date, route or class of service prior to travel for an amendment fee of £25 for changes to international flights originating in the UK, US$50 for changes to international flights originating in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes to flights originating in any other region........
If for any reason a flight reward is cancelled by the Member outside 24 hours of departure, 100% of the Miles will be re-credited to the member’s account. A cancellation fee of £30 for changes to flights originating in the UK, US$50 for changes to flights originating in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes to flights originating in any other region will apply. If for any reason a flight reward is cancelled within 24 hours prior to departure, no Miles will be refunded and no fee will be charged. If you change the original travel date (within 24 hours of departure) and later decide to cancel your flights, you will forfeit the mileage used for the reward. Once travel has commenced Miles cannot be refunded.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/gb/en...ing-miles.html

BIG CHANGE!! And does a lot in my view to get Flying Club more competitive with BA Exec Club!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Well I wish I'd known about that 2 weeks ago - we were seriously contemplating extending our recent holiday for a few more days.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Who knows when the change was made. I'm not sure it wasn't the regular rules a few days ago when I first checked...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Nice blog btw - I enjoy reading these when it's not too busy at work, and with yours I now have 3 to read
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
About time!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Nice blog btw - I enjoy reading these when it's not too busy at work, and with yours I now have 3 to read
Thanks. I'm trying to do a lot of work with non-BA programmes since Raffles does a good job with avios and I'm using this to learn things I wouldn't otherwise bother with...

Of course it's hard to resist posting about all those juicy Tesco offers!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Thanks. I'm trying to do a lot of work with non-BA programmes since Raffles does a good job with avios and I'm using this to learn things I wouldn't otherwise bother with...

Of course it's hard to resist posting about all those juicy Tesco offers!
Just had a quick look at your site, and followed on faceache, seems very good.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Good spot - but hard to see why they haven't announced it.

I just wrote a post today for next week on VS slagging them off for this very problem!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
Good spot - but hard to see why they haven't announced it.

I just wrote a post today for next week on VS slagging them off for this very problem!
I did the same... great programme except for this one big issue...

Anyhow, with any luck they've got a few other improvements in the works and were waiting for that before announcing it...

I didn't completely hate the previous policy as I reckon it would have helped award availability a bit. With BA, you can just book something, then cancel it shortly before departure. I tend to book things speculatively all of the time when I come up with holiday ideas - I do try to release the seats enough in advance that somebody else can grab them, but still...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The £25 fee is enough of a reason not to do that (although you're Gold, so not an issue!) when there are 4 of you.

Look at it my way, though. If I want 4 J seats during school holidays, I've got to book them ASAP. Act first, think later, or we're not going anywhere.

I have 4 J returns to Dubai over Christmas, for eg, booked a long time ago. As of today, we are leaning towards not going as we are there for half-term and (many months after I booked Christmas) I got lucky and snagged seats for Easter next year as well.

Cancelling that booking on VS would have lost me 80,000 miles (£800 of value, 25% of 4 x 80k tickets) under the old rules. That wasn't a game I was going to play.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Raffles
The £25 fee is enough of a reason not to do that (although you're Gold, so not an issue!) when there are 4 of you.

Look at it my way, though. If I want 4 J seats during school holidays, I've got to book them ASAP. Act first, think later, or we're not going anywhere.

I have 4 J returns to Dubai over Christmas, for eg, booked a long time ago. As of today, we are leaning towards not going as we are there for half-term and (many months after I booked Christmas) I got lucky and snagged seats for Easter next year as well.

Cancelling that booking on VS would have lost me 80,000 miles (£800 of value, 25% of 4 x 80k tickets) under the old rules. That wasn't a game I was going to play.
Exactly my point, now you can do the same on VS. Ergo award availability might go down for those of us who can't book 11 months in advance.

Anyhow, that's just quibbling, as I reckon Delta Skymilers will grab a fair amount of award availability anyhow...

Great change on the part of Flying Club...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Questions from someone who has never booked a VS award. I saw the change where you don't lose miles when cancelling, but:

Does VS refund the taxes/YQ charges if a rewards ticket is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance of travel? If yes, is this a "proper" refund (meaning a credit to my credit card) or some type of travel cert for future VS use? I did note the cancellation fee (US$ 50) but was more focused on the taxes/YQ.

I am in the US, no status on VS.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctbarron
Questions from someone who has never booked a VS award. I saw the change where you don't lose miles when cancelling, but:

Does VS refund the taxes/YQ charges if a rewards ticket is cancelled more than 24 hours in advance of travel? If yes, is this a "proper" refund (meaning a credit to my credit card) or some type of travel cert for future VS use? I did note the cancellation fee (US$ 50) but was more focused on the taxes/YQ.

I am in the US, no status on VS.
It is a proper refund (minus the $50), back to the card you used to pay for the redemption in the first place...
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: VS, BA, AA, IHG, HH, SPG
I believe in the event of any flight (revenue of award) not being taken you can always get the taxes back even on the most restricted ticked and even with a last minute no-show. I would appreciate if someone could confirm this as its pretty handy to know!

Last edited by oliuk; Sep 10, 2013 at 10:57 am Reason: typos
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by oliuk
I beleive in the event of any flight (revenue of award) not being taken you can always get the taxes back even on the most restricted ticked and even with a last minute no-show. I would appreciate if someone could confirm this as its pretty hand to know!
Yes you can always get the UK APD and airport taxes back. This even applies to Easyjet etc although of course you will have to call some rip-off phone line and there will be an admin charge too.

On fuel surcharge, I believe currently that this is forfeited on both BA and Virgin. Very very happy to be corrected though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.