Search

Ex EU -> Vegas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:51 pm
PxC
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Ex EU -> Vegas

I've read about plenty of people flying Dublin - Vegas via london/man with Virgin, but (apart from one flight matrix search) I cannot find anything for the end of June (20-30th, flexible). BA is easy enough, but Virgin I can get nothing even by using Expedia's multi city tool. So far have BA CW for £1487 rtn (but +£400 on my dates), would like to compare to UC.

Has this stopped, am I missing something?

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
No not stopped but VS has a lot fewer seats to sell BA and if they can sell them to the UK market then they won't necessarily offer them to the EU market.

If you particularly want VS then it may be wrth looking at other ex-EU airports like AMS, CPH, OSL etc
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:00 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I have never done an ex-EU, but the fact the the pound has devalued so much against the Euro, and the fact the BA pretty much have the monopoly on LHR-DUB route mean that they don't represent the savings that they used to.

If you then factor in the extra hassle of travelling to your start point, extra hotels, and the rumours of airlines trying to clamp down on them them; plus the isolated horror stories of missed and cancelled connections, then the whole concept isn't so appealing.

Nick
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:15 am
PxC
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No not stopped but VS has a lot fewer seats to sell BA and if they can sell them to the UK market then they won't necessarily offer them to the EU market.

If you particularly want VS then it may be wrth looking at other ex-EU airports like AMS, CPH, OSL etc
Would the best way of finding out to be to use flight matrix with a bunch of airports and filter for flights containing Virgin? Or some different way of trying expedia?

Originally Posted by Nottingham Nick
I have never done an ex-EU, but the fact the the pound has devalued so much against the Euro, and the fact the BA pretty much have the monopoly on LHR-DUB route mean that they don't represent the savings that they used to.

If you then factor in the extra hassle of travelling to your start point, extra hotels, and the rumours of airlines trying to clamp down on them them; plus the isolated horror stories of missed and cancelled connections, then the whole concept isn't so appealing.

Nick
First option is to get to London from Bristol and then pay £900 (eco) or £4k (business), second option is to pay £15 for a flight to Dublin from Bristol and then pay £1500 for business. Still seems very attractive
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Personally I use google flights as it's much easier to change the start / end points than on expedia I then use the flight numbers / times to book either on expedia or the airline dorect.

google flights sometimes provides a link direct to airline websites as well and pre populates your search results.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:31 am
PxC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Personally I use google flights as it's much easier to change the start / end points than on expedia I then use the flight numbers / times to book either on expedia or the airline dorect.

google flights sometimes provides a link direct to airline websites as well and pre populates your search results.
When I've used google flights, the results have often been inaccurate and when the links come up to BA or wherever to book those flights, they have gone up in price. Flight Matrix is more accurate, but did't find some of what I found below..

In case anyones interested, I found the Virgin ex eu fares from Dublin when using the Irish or US Expedia. Cheapest I got Upper Class DUB-LHR-LAS rtn was £1450 on VS and £1250 on BA. Annoyingly I need to arrive the latest in Vegas the 24h June, and the prices go up across the board for any flight departing before 25th June . Another problem to solve (dreamt about damn flight prices last night I've spent so much time looking!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.