Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciphering delta fare codes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Deciphering delta fare codes

Does anyone have any insight into how these codes correspond with the Virgin fare buckets...?

With the simple ones, its easy to see that the first letter of the code (usually when its 4 digits) is the standard Virgin fare bucket.. like J, I W etc.

But I'm booking a JFK flight at the moment and it comes out as NLA4SDMG. Saturday - Saturday stay 11th/18th March.

I want to know what TPs that will earn but these codes are not easy to work out.

Looking on the DL website doesn't help either, as Delta shows it as Premium Economy (W) but I know full well it is not selling a full W fare, its just showing that as its the only fare DL have and it will therefore dump into one of the lower VS fare buckets once its actually booked.

Anybody else feel like pulling their hair out with this...?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
So... I booked this flight and it booked into the K fare bucket. (I expected K or H). But obviously the DL Fare code above had no resemblance of that at all.

There doesn't seem to be a reliable way of viewing the VS selling bucket through the new website pre booking at the moment, unless I am missing something?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
DL does not have Premium Economy on routes to JFK. They have a Comfort+ "experience", which is coded as W fare, to make things confusing.
K and H are standard economy fares, below the full cost, refundable, ones (Y, B, M sometimes), but above the low cost ones (S, L, U, T, V)

If Delta sells you a W on a DL-coded, but VS-operated, flight it will be a Premium Economy seat.
If they sell it on a DL-operated flight, it is a Comfort+ seat.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thesaints
DL does not have Premium Economy on routes to JFK. They have a Comfort+ "experience", which is coded as W fare, to make things confusing.
K and H are standard economy fares, below the full cost, refundable, ones (Y, B, M sometimes), but above the low cost ones (S, L, U, T, V)

If Delta sells you a W on a DL-coded, but VS-operated, flight it will be a Premium Economy seat.
If they sell it on a DL-operated flight, it is a Comfort+ seat.
Thanks for the reply.. but I already know all of that. The problem is the Fare code that VS show on their website bears little or no resemblance to the fare buckets the ticket gets booked into.

In my case, NLA4SDMG = K fare bucket on VS metal booked with VS direct but there was NO WAY of knowing that before booking.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by CommanderB
Thanks for the reply.. but I already know all of that. The problem is the Fare code that VS show on their website bears little or no resemblance to the fare buckets the ticket gets booked into.

In my case, NLA4SDMG = K fare bucket on VS metal booked with VS direct but there was NO WAY of knowing that before booking.
Is a fare rule not a fare class.

On a recent flight on BA I had an I fare class but the rule started with another letter entirely.

Here is a list DL fare classes not sure if it helps though!
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Am I allowed to be amused at the ordering of four of DL's low-cost fare buckets above?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I wish there was an easier way to decipher the fare codes...someone over at v-flyer mentioned that their delta "w" fare stayed as a "w" on the VS site, so you never know. Especially since the PE fares on Delta metal are $500+ cheaper than on the VS website.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carolinaRN
I wish there was an easier way to decipher the fare codes...someone over at v-flyer mentioned that their delta "w" fare stayed as a "w" on the VS site, so you never know. Especially since the PE fares on Delta metal are $500+ cheaper than on the VS website.
If you see a W fare on the DL site... it basically means the currently selling Premium Economy fare on VS and when it books into the VS fare bucket, it will go in at the lowest available bucket. So booking a W fare on the DL website could result in K H S or W. You won't know until its ticketed - and thats my problem.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: BAEC Brown, Hilton Gold
There doesnt appear to be a way of finding out *after* it's ticketed either! The new "much improved" *cough* VS website doesn't seem to show you the fare bucket anymore.

I have a PE flight booked via DL into a DL W bucket, but would be useful to see how many TPs I'm gonna get.

Cheers

Neil
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:58 am
Original Poster

I could see easily enough after booking. Fare bucket was mentioned on my FC account. Possibly under future flights, but I can't remember.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: VS Gold
It's listed under "View Receipt" at the top of your booking. Though I'm not sure if it would be there for flights booked under Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.