Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Aggressive flash fare sale £999 LON-ORD Upper Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

This has been mentioned rather quietly in the premium fare deals thread but I think it's probably worth a shout here.

£999 to Chicago, £1295 to Houston. I don't know if other cities are available but the ones I've tried haven't worked!

They also have generous stopovers so you can - in theory make that a ticket to MCO or maybe even further West - so long as you route via ORD one way.

Booking deadline is tomorrow, Aug 28. Valid for travel until mid-June 2016.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Missed it! But thanks for the heads up.

Adey
Old Aug 28, 2015, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Looks like it was a mistake then! Deadline was set to 28 AUG...
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Had read that booking deadline was 28th Aug, but fares are all gone now!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Looks like it was a mistake then! Deadline was set to 28 AUG...
Nope - my bad. Thought it was the 29th, ooops. But looks like all the fares have gone!

Adey
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: VS Gold, Marriott Platinum, BA Gold, Ryanair hatred!
Hello Flyertalkers,

Had three l-o-n-g conversations with the flying club off the back of hearing about this last week. I mean with return fares of £995 I didn't want to miss out!

SO based on my conversations with 3 different FC operatives, I can safely say that there was NO specific VA flash sale! Not one that flying club knew anything about anyway!

I origianally saw this on head for points on a post with screenshots, and I have to say I was a bit suspicious about this one from the start..... if you know the VA booking website you would spot that the supposed "round trip" screenshot was only actually one leg!

There were some cheap fares (none as cheap as £995 for a RETURN UC flight) but cheapish none the less, around the £2k for a round trip to the US.

The whole purpose of a sale is to raise money (or make money), so you obviously want to publicise the sale as widely as possible so that as many people as possible see it, whereas this apparent "sale" slipped past with barely anyone knowing about it OR it being in any way publisised by VA. And for a company as "marketing" switched on as VA, that would be a bit of an odd move! I mean what would be the point of a sale that no one knew about???

I wouldn't worry too much that you missed out...

Mark
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Well it appeared on Secret Flying and Head for Points and got a mention on v-flyer too where someone reported being in the middle of buying it before the price got bumped back (must have been bookign across midnight)

Note head for points does have a screen shot with a ~ £ 590 outbound leg and ~£ 400 return leg for a total of £995

I also personally saw the offer on a google flights search but I'd booked the day before for an also excellent price of just under £ 1,100

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Sep 3, 2015 at 11:04 am
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Yes, it was definitely £995 return - VS doesn't fool me that easily :-)

I am touched by your belief in the knowledge and accuracy of the FC call centre operatives!

What you are forgetting is that this fare had a specific fare basis and a very short term expiry date. It also came to a round figure of £995 including tax which means it MUST have been deliberate because someone had to count back from £995 to get the base fare for the fare calculation shown on ITA.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Potentially a silly question but how do you know that these flights will be honoured and not cancelled as a mistake fare? It's the first bargain like this i've managed to achieve and it replaced a reward booking i had made so i don't want to cancel the reward booking just yet if there's a potential for this one to be cancelled... any suggestions as to how long i should leave it?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snevillio
Potentially a silly question but how do you know that these flights will be honoured and not cancelled as a mistake fare? It's the first bargain like this i've managed to achieve and it replaced a reward booking i had made so i don't want to cancel the reward booking just yet if there's a potential for this one to be cancelled... any suggestions as to how long i should leave it?
It would have been cancelled by now.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Thanks Raffles, i spotted it through HFP so i owe you a drink or two
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snevillio
Thanks Raffles, i spotted it through HFP so i owe you a drink or two
I just been invited down to Crawley for a PR event in two weeks so I may be able to get to the bottom of it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.