Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to get bulkhead seat in PE?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Best way to get bulkhead seat in PE?

Gold flying solo on A340 on June 21st. Are these normally airport allocation only - so get to the airport as early as possible - or is there another way? They look occupied in the seat selection tool but assuming that this just means they're blocked?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
The seat selection map does not show PE front row seats, so they're not available to select (and the first row you see on the map is actually the second row).

They are allocated at check-in or by the airport team prior to check-in if for example there are people travelling with babies who need skycots or others who may need some special assistance, or indeed those who have a status higher than yours.

I too am frustrated that on VS you can't preselect these as a FC Au but that's the system, and has been for a long time.

Even getting to the airport early does not guarantee that if they're free you'll be given the option to choose them, I've tried every which way to do this and frankly I've observed people who check in after me being given them (and been told they're not free when I knew they were), sometimes being given them, sometimes there's no discernible reason for why someone gets them. It is however one way to attempt to request them.

Instead, choose a seat you're comfortable with, then request at check-in and in the clubhouse, and if you're lucky great.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Thanks. It's one of those things that keeps much of my premium economy travel with BA. As a Gold with them I find I can pretty much guarantee getting a window or aisle bulkhead seat.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
In my limited experience, I think PE bulkheads may be a 'friends of staff' perk ...
twasbrillig likes this.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Shouldn't one be worried about close proximity to crying babies in these bulkhead seats?
Old May 24, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Blue; Marriott Rewards Silver
I travelled from LHR to JFK in May 2014. I was originally on a Y ticket but paid to upgrade to PE at the airport at check-in. I was allocated a bulkhead seat.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
In my limited experience, I think PE bulkheads may be a 'friends of staff' perk ...
This is also my experience. Over to Vegas even one of the pilots came out to have a chat. It looked as if they got the Upper meal as well, and champers too...
Old May 27, 2015, 3:51 pm

I did manage to pre-book 28A & could have had 28C on a 747 from BOS last weekend. It meant I got to drink at the bar whilst everyone else boarded as the FA wanted to stand there to welcome everyone on board.

28C was occupied by a friend of the crew though.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:38 am

Whilst flying on the old LHR-NRT route I asked in the terminal and was given the bulkhead seats. I've also had similar experiences flying LHR-JFK. Although it maybe because I am 6'5" and they took pity on me?!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Smid
This is also my experience. Over to Vegas even one of the pilots came out to have a chat. It looked as if they got the Upper meal as well, and champers too...
Mine too. I really don't like that I have to say.
twasbrillig likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club, BA Exec Club
I had to move a flight recently at short notice, and had to fly PE instead of UC. I was booked into a middle seat in the centre of the cabin, but at the gate, I got moved (without asking) to the front bulkhead window seat - thought it was a bit odd. The person next to me had the same thing - the cabin supervisor came over before take off and welcomed us both on board personally, thanked us for being VA regulars and gave us a bottle of bubbly as "an apology for not being able to get us into UC".
A rather surreal moment for me - as I didn't realise that my custom was any more valuable than others. Also rang out to me that I think I travel a tad too much.
Only posting this as it may aid the thought process/procedures being VA locking these seats out from selection, and how they allocate them. If it helps to understand the status, at that time, I was at 400k flown miles, VAFC Au, with 43 Tier points in the kitty.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by lonemorf
I had to move a flight recently at short notice, and had to fly PE instead of UC. I was booked into a middle seat in the centre of the cabin, but at the gate, I got moved (without asking) to the front bulkhead window seat - thought it was a bit odd. The person next to me had the same thing - the cabin supervisor came over before take off and welcomed us both on board personally, thanked us for being VA regulars and gave us a bottle of bubbly as "an apology for not being able to get us into UC".
A rather surreal moment for me - as I didn't realise that my custom was any more valuable than others. Also rang out to me that I think I travel a tad too much.
Only posting this as it may aid the thought process/procedures being VA locking these seats out from selection, and how they allocate them. If it helps to understand the status, at that time, I was at 400k flown miles, VAFC Au, with 43 Tier points in the kitty.
This whole post seems to be a humble brag...but I guess the insight is good?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club, BA Exec Club
If that's your view on it, then not a lot I can do to convince you otherwise. Was simply trying to reinforce the point that they seem to lock these out for status, and the status I have (which I don't think is that "impressive", compared to others I have seen on here anyway), seemed to sway those seats, involuntarily, to me.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
I'm also hoping to snag a bulkhead seat in PE. I'm a Diamond Medallion member with DL, and the types of benefits that I receive in the airport and in terms of seating seem equivalent to VS Gold Club members (minus access to VS Clubhouse at LHR). In short, does my status with a partner airline give me any leverage when it comes to this type of seating request?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
I have bagged the bulkhead seats by chance a few times, but the one time I actually genuinely needed them, I was returning from the US after having emergency surgery and was told they were unavailable and there was nothing that could be done. I found it hard to believe at the time, but conceded and got an aisle row near the back of PE on the 346.

On the plus side, I was well looked after by the FSM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.