Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Booking Partner Award on Delta for South America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:23 am
Original Poster

I travel a lot between the US and Brazil, and noticed that roundtrip Delta flights to South America are listed as only 45000 miles as a Virgin Atlantic partner redemption. Theoretically, this is a great rate and much better than the average of 60K. I could shift my efforts towards getting Virgin Atlantic miles such as the BofA Visa.

However, after reading through the forum it seems award availability may be an issue. I am not looking for complicated itineraries, just GRU-LAX/SAN or GRU-NYC/BOS. So anyone have any experience with this? I can grab the BofA Visa and try it out, but any tips would be great!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

FWIW, during 6 1/2 months of the year, AA only charges 40K AA miles for the roundtrip in Economy class:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp
Old Aug 23, 2014, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Ah, yes, my life would be easier if at least 75% of my travel did not fall on those dates

I also found Aeromexico at 45K if I fly to LAX and 50K if LAN, but award availability through LAN is very spotty and the same with Aeromexico (and you have to call and book rewards as well).

I'm going to go ahead and get the BofA card and call in and try out some dates in December. Too bad there is no card for Delta like the Citi AA Exec or United Club that gets you real elite benefits!
Old Aug 23, 2014, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jkroncke
Too bad there is no card for Delta like the Citi AA Exec or United Club that gets you real elite benefits!
You may not be familiar with the DL Amex Reserve card.

https://www304.americanexpress.com/c...ta-credit-card
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

I did miss this. Hmm, a little harder to justify than the others for international travel, especially given I already have the Amex Platnium and its sign up bonus is lackluster.

Even so, it is much better than nothing should booking Delta through Virgin Atlantic works out. Especially for manufacture spend, 1.5 miles per dollar at $90 a year is great if the 45K redemption works out.

I guess not many people have experience with this particular transaction so I will be sure to come back and post my results when I figure it out!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Well, in case anyone pulls this thread up later, I would not recommend Flying Club for partner rewards between South America and the US. No partner award availability (Delta) was in their system for either LAX or NYC, so I have to assume it is fairly sparse!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.