Search

LHR to EWR Questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Virgin Flying Club
LHR to EWR Questions

Hi all,

After my last post saying about Virgin poor availabilty I have had to accept defeat and get a UC reward to New York and then get a internal fight.

My flight leaves LHR at 8:30pm, so will try to get some sleep on the plane, will this be classed as a night flight (will they turn lights down?) or will it be just a normal flight (never flown this late in the day before)

Also coming back my flight leaves at 7:15am but my internal flight gets in at 5:48am, will this give me enough time to catch the 7:15 flight?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
The cabin crew will serve drinks and dinner and normally yes, they will dim the lights to allow people to get some rest if you wish. There's nothing to stop you watching a film or sitting at the bar however - I like the VS1 if you have a short journey on arrival.

On the return, you're cutting it fine IMO. If you have any delay you'll be struggling but at least if you get off quick and leg over to VS then the terminal isn't busy so you can get checked in and through security quickly. Hand baggage only will be a considerable help, as would printing off your own BP.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:45 am

Who are you flying with internally? If you have to collect and re-check baggage at EWR then you are going to be really close to the wire. If you're hand-baggage only and you come into terminal B, then you should be fine.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
yes on your flight back the luggage will be the deciding factor.

If the internal airline will through check your bags to LHR then you will be fine but if you have to recollect and then check in then it is more tricky.

And given that VS says they close the desks at 6.15 (an hour before departure) then that only leaves you 30 minutes to deplane etc etc etc
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by at240
Who are you flying with internally? If you have to collect and re-check baggage at EWR then you are going to be really close to the wire. If you're hand-baggage only and you come into terminal B, then you should be fine.
Internally I will be using United as they fly directly. It will only be hand baggage so none to check in.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you on one ticket LHR-EWR-XXX-EWR-LHR or are the UA domestic segments on a separate ticket?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Are you on one ticket LHR-EWR-XXX-EWR-LHR or are the UA domestic segments on a separate ticket?
They are on separate tickets.

The problem I have is the earlier flight gets in at midnight so I have a choice take that one and spend 7hrs until next flight (Although can use lounge from 4:15) at the airport or risk the later one as discussed.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by RedDog75
They are on separate tickets.

The problem I have is the earlier flight gets in at midnight so I have a choice take that one and spend 7hrs until next flight (Although can use lounge from 4:15) at the airport or risk the later one as discussed.
Are you travelling on business and cannot book a hotel? Either way if you take the flight the night before you'll save one night in a hotel surely so why not do that and then have peace of mind?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slinky09
Are you travelling on business and cannot book a hotel? Either way if you take the flight the night before you'll save one night in a hotel surely so why not do that and then have peace of mind?
One flight leaves at 4pm and the other at 10pm so I wouldn't be booking a hotel for that evening anyway.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:41 am

Internally I will be using United as they fly directly. It will only be hand baggage so none to check in.
I assume you'll come in to terminal C in that case. If all goes to plan you'll be OK and perhaps have 20 minutes in the Clubhouse if you're lucky. But it's tight -- (much) tighter than I'd be happy with, especially on a separate PNR.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by at240
I assume you'll come in to terminal C in that case. If all goes to plan you'll be OK and perhaps have 20 minutes in the Clubhouse if you're lucky. But it's tight -- (much) tighter than I'd be happy with, especially on a separate PNR.
And assuming there is no delay at all!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:32 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
Too close for comfort for me on a split PNR I am afraid.

Nick
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Well after taking your kind advice I had a look at changing my ticket to the earlier flight only to find out it costs £120 per person to change the ticket which is about the same amount to buy a new ticket!

So do I put it down to bad research and fork out the money or just pack my best running shoes and hope for the best

If I check-in online 24hrs before (only got carry on baggage) then do I just have to get to security and then onto the gate? (Sorry for sounding a bit clueless but I've never had to catch a connecting flight, always been direct, so I don't know the security procedure for this)
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

If I check-in online 24hrs before (only got carry on baggage) then do I just have to get to security and then onto the gate? (Sorry for sounding a bit clueless but I've never had to catch a connecting flight, always been direct, so I don't know the security procedure for this)
Yes but you would still need to be there by the boarding time indicated on the BP.

And if you don't make it VS would be under no obligation to move you onto another flight - especially as you are on two separate PNRs

Personally I'd be forking out for the earlier connecting flight (plus a hotel but then I need my comforts!) rather than risking it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.