Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin and Amex offer

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Virgin and Amex offer

I wasn't sure whether to put this in here or the Amex forum, so apologies if this is in the wrong place (or been discussed before).

I noticed on Raffles' site, that if you have a Amex card and are booking a virgin flight before 7th September you get double points. Now the gold card gives you double points on travel anyway, so does this mean you get x4 points?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
This is a uk offer only... :)

Originally Posted by divetheblue
I wasn't sure whether to put this in here or the Amex forum, so apologies if this is in the wrong place (or been discussed before).

I noticed on Raffles' site, that if you have a Amex card and are booking a virgin flight before 7th September you get double points. Now the gold card gives you double points on travel anyway, so does this mean you get x4 points?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX Gold, LeAccor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, SPG Gold
Usually the Amex MR offers 'stack' rather than multiplying i.e. foreign currency spend on travel gives 1x for spend, 1x for foreign currency, 1x for travel so in totals gives you 3x MR. I would imagine this offer would be same. Sorry!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Agent73, was worth checking
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, CX Gold, LeAccor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, SPG Gold
No problem - there used to be a good trick on the Gold card where you could get triple points for buying fuel from a supermarket as it triggered both the 'Petrol/Travel' and the 'Grocery' flags, so i'm convinced you should get 3x MR. (which is still quite good)
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: Amex Cent and all that comes with it
Thanks divetheblue (and raffles).

Just in case similar offers occur again, I should let everyone know that I applied for the offer after I had purchased my VA ticket (I'd already purchased the ticket when I came across this thread). Probably one week after the purchase.

Just checked my membership rewards and I have indeed received the bonus points. So it appears the algorithm used doesn't check that the application for the offer occurred before the purchase, just that both are within the offer dates.

Hope that helps other with future offers!

Adey

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.