Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

How often do Gold Card Holders get bumped from PE to UC ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Gold, Amex Centurion

Hi

First time starting a thread, im a Flying Club Gold Member and i travel LHR - HK every 6 or 8 weeks, i usually travel in PE unless there is a particularly good deal on UC or i can pay to upgrade cheaply at check in. My question is are there any frequent flyers like myself who manage to get bumped up from PE to UC ever as ive never managed it (although i did get a Voluntary Denied Boarding last year which earnt me a free flight). If so, any tips ?

Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:41 am
Ambassador

It will only happen if the flight is overbooked in Y/PE in which case you should be near the top of the list for upgrades.

In my fairly limited expreience of flying to HKG it has been pretty full in J anyway.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BA304
It will only happen if the flight is overbooked in Y/PE in which case you should be near the top of the list for upgrades.

In my fairly limited expreience of flying to HKG it has been pretty full in J anyway.
Yep VS will only generally upgrade if they need to and IF they need to they have an algorithm of who to upgrade depending on status and fare bucket

They are quite stingy (yay) on giving free upgrades just because there is space available - was one on a flight that was full in Y and PE but only 1/3rd full in UC and there were no free upgrades.

On VS the general rule is that to be be in UC is to pay to be in UC
Old Apr 22, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: UA global, VS Gld , SPG plat
I also travel this route every month and the chances are pretty close to zero of a free upgrade. You gave a better chance HKG-LHR (for some reason this seems busier although you would expect the traffic to be about equal).

If you want to sit in the nice seats then best to buy S fare and use miles to upgrade. The redemption/earnings are about equal.
If you travel this oftern then sounds like maybe you are on company business n which case you can buy K fare and use flyingco miles to upgrade to UC.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Remember sitting next to the wife of a Virgin director on a flight a few years ago. She said that no one (even RB himself) gets a free ride in UC if they can sell that seat.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
Remember sitting next to the wife of a Virgin director on a flight a few years ago. She said that no one (even RB himself) gets a free ride in UC if they can sell that seat.
Hmmmm - I'm pretty sure that was a marketing line. We HONESTLY believe SRB sits in Y on any flight he's on with VS...? Cough.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Had a friend where SRB was on board and SRB had two UC suites - one to sit on and one to sleep on.

At the end of the flight he went on the tannoy to thank the crew for their work.
Old May 5, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by preiffer
Hmmmm - I'm pretty sure that was a marketing line. We HONESTLY believe SRB sits in Y on any flight he's on with VS...? Cough.
Haha - yeah I'd love to see the day he flys in Y, or even K, on his way to his private island...
Old May 6, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
Originally Posted by MagicWok
Haha - yeah I'd love to see the day he flys in Y, or even K, on his way to his private island...
Or his private jet.
Old May 6, 2012, 2:11 am

Programs: Hilton HH. Virgin Flying Club
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yep VS will only generally upgrade if they need to and IF they need to they have an algorithm of who to upgrade depending on status and fare bucket

They are quite stingy (yay) on giving free upgrades just because there is space available - was one on a flight that was full in Y and PE but only 1/3rd full in UC and there were no free upgrades.

On VS the general rule is that to be be in UC is to pay to be in UC
Im with VS on this. For me to fly UC I have to work very hard to enable me to afford such comforts, I believe that if you are not a paying UC passenger then you should not be able to fly UC. AU card holders who are not flying UC already get a CH pass, is that not enough, next thing they'll be getting access to the UC bar area on the aircraft
Old May 7, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by slinky09
Or his private jet.
Private VS 747 - now that I'd be impressed with

Originally Posted by Mercurial flyer
Im with VS on this. For me to fly UC I have to work very hard to enable me to afford such comforts, I believe that if you are not a paying UC passenger then you should not be able to fly UC. AU card holders who are not flying UC already get a CH pass, is that not enough, next thing they'll be getting access to the UC bar area on the aircraft
You and SIA would be best buddies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.