Wiki Posts
Search

Guests in UC Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Guests in UC Lounge?

My wife and I have CO BF codeshare tickets on VS, which puts us in UC. We have been told by both CO and VS that we can use the VS departure lounge. A couple of our friends are flying PE class. Are we allowed a guest?

None of us have any status with either CO or VS.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:16 pm

Can't help you directly with your question (have never taken a guest into a lounge), but have a piece of related advice.

If you are flying from Heathrow you should be given an invitation to the Virgin Clubhouse (that's okay).

Of you are flying from Gatwick (or from another airport and are given a pass for a different lounge), then don't ask the check-in agent for a pass to the Virgin Lounge instead...!

I did this at Gatwick (whilst flying with a Continental BF ticket on a Virgin codeshare) - they gave me a pass to the President's Club instead - and got a long (not too quite), embarrassing lecture from the check-in agent. I did ask very politely and nicely. If I didn't feel so embarrassed and like a criminal (that's how the agent made me feel), I would have been very angry at being spoken to like that. Don't know what the people in the neighbouring lines thought, it was very embarrassing...

Still, happy ending, we went to the Virgin Clubhouse and were welcomed in without a question or a comment.

So moral or the story: don't ask nicely at check-in, just go to the lounge and smile sweetly there. You live and learn.

Boo
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boo Boo Too:

Of you are flying from Gatwick (or from another airport and are given a pass for a different lounge), then don't ask the check-in agent for a pass to the Virgin Lounge instead...!

I did this at Gatwick (whilst flying with a Continental BF ticket on a Virgin codeshare) - they gave me a pass to the President's Club instead - and got a long (not too quite), embarrassing lecture from the check-in agent. Boo
</font>

What's a President's club? We are flying IAD-LHR-IAD by the way.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:44 pm

Programs: Various
UC Passengers can take one guest each into a VS Clubhouse.

When I am back in UK at the end of week I will be posting more on LHR Clubhoouse as it gets worse.....

Did get to witness the new 600 Airbus firsthand on my flight to SFO on Saturday, will report on that one too....

Thanks,
Richard
Old Dec 10, 2002, 5:49 pm

President's Club is Continental's own business class lounge: nothing particularly special (or so I have heard) - you are better off going to the Virgin Clubhouse.

Will be interested to see Richard's report on the LHR clubhouse (since I will be using it again in a couple of weeks).

I was a bit disappointed last time I used the LHR Clubhouse: not nearly (in my mind) as impressive as the LGW Clubhouse, the Conservatory was closed and the service was pretty dire (the people going round taking food and drinks orders were very unattentive - very unlike those at the LGW Clubhouse) - they just didn't seem interested in looking after you... (whereas at Gatwick they are amazing). This is wierd, since I thought LHR was supposed to be their flagship lounge.

Still, all complaints are relative: I will be flying UC and using a Virgin Clubhouse (so have no right to complain - I will have a great time :-)).

Boo

Old Dec 10, 2002, 5:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by slawecki:

What's a President's club?
</font>
Presidents Club
Old Dec 10, 2002, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dsimon:
Presidents Club</font>

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH Continental President's Club. CO was very clear that with my tickets, I would NOT be allowed in there!

Would be nice for us amorphus travelers if they named them "the CO business class lounge" and "the VS first class lounge" and stuff like that.

Last week saw the label on the closed door at the RCC(UA Biz Class) lounge "First class". Knew how to handle that situation.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 2:26 am
Moderator, Virgin Atlantic

Programs: VS Red, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium - earned out of our own pocket!.
I was in the President's Club last week - they let lowly Priority Club members in!!
It was okay - but it isn't a Clubhouse.

Given a choice, Clubhouse wins hands down - even if standards have slipped recently, it is still a great way to start your flying day.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 4:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
When I am back in UK at the end of week I will be posting more on LHR Clubhoouse as it gets worse.....</font>
I would be interested in your account of the sizing-down in service at the Clubhouse. What would be different from, say, six months ago?
Old Dec 11, 2002, 6:16 am
dnw

Oh no! VS has upset Richard again

Time to defect...

dnw
Old Dec 11, 2002, 8:23 am

Simple, fly out of Gatwick instead - much nicer Clubhouse (although I suppose that restricts your destination...).

Will be posting a long haul (lhr-syd return) Club World trip report (on the trip report forum) soon. My first experience of Club World was VERY favourable (especially the seats) - Virgin has some serious competition there. Still, I get my Virgin flights (Continental tickets) so cheaply, I don't think I will be taking too many Club World flights soon.

I hope that Virgin take some lesson from the new Club World seats next time they redesign the UC cabin.

Boo

Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:36 am
dnw

Boo Boo Too - If you dont mind starting your journey in AMS/CDG you can get Club World tickets at very attractive prices, with full miles/points and flexibility.

VS' seat is on a par with all the other supposed J 'sleeper' seats (CO, DL etc) but none of them come close to BA. Strange really as you'd expect it to be the other way around given that BA offers F and the others don't.

dnw
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:54 am

dmw

Any web site/contact for BA CW fares out of AMS/CDG?

Its probably still quite a bit more than I pay for CO tickets, but it is definitely worth looking at next time I am looking to book long haul flights (have already booked CO/VS flights for Christmas).

I don't know, were BA bed seats developed later than VS's and other's? Maybe BA learnt from other carrier's experiences...

Boo
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I was in the LHR clubhouse on 5th December while awaiting VS21 to IAD.
I personally could not notice a difference from previous times ( last year access was with the UK Amex Plat card- but since April 2002 no longer able to access the clubhouses) apart from it being slightly busier- there were passengers awaiting the departure of the delayed 0930 VS 45 to NYC.

The staff were as friendly as usual, the continental breakfast buffet was good, the bacon roll was good too.
I got an appointment for a haircut at 10am (arrived just after 9am). The vtouch salon is different now as I saw some beauty therapist stuff in the conservatory while the bathroom and showers were combined into one area.
I did notice the skiing game was not working and the worldmap showing which areas of the world were in daylight/nighttime was not working (minor points).

It will be interesting to read Richard's comments but I found the lounge to be very good as usual.

Regards
TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited 12-13-2002).]
Old Dec 11, 2002, 3:22 pm
dnw

Boo Boo- ebookers.fr/.nl is good for CDG/AMS fares and BA's own DE booking engine will show you those from Germany/Austria. In fact I was researching the other day and VIE is the cheapest place to originate a business class ticket at the moment- you wouldn't believe the savings.

BA was the first airline to put beds in business class, the rest are poorer imitations

dnw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.