Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

VX to raise more money, has 80%+ load factors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5eabe19e-9...nclick_check=1

Mr Nisi, who is also a Virgin America director, said the carrier is now filling more than 80 per cent of its available seats, and should turn a profit by the second half of next year.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Mr Branson’s Virgin Group, which owns a minority stake in Virgin America, will grant its sister company a loan, the people said.

Black Canyon and Cyrus Capital Partners, the US private-equity firms that hold the remaining 75 per cent in Virgin America, may also provide additional funds. And the carrier is exploring options for financing its fleet of aircraft.
Hmm. Well, at least they're still putting in money.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 12:51 am

Programs: TrueBlue, HHonors
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Hmm. Well, at least they're still putting in money.

I think you've managed to squeeze the orange down to the pulp.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I meant by that is that I'm pretty sure SRB would be walking away if this wasn't looking at least SOMEWHAT promising, and needing additional capital because oil's more expensive than planned isn't unrealistic.

That being said, 80% loads aren't the end-all, be-all- how are they getting there? The old "we lose money on each sale, but make up for it in volume" way of doing it? Without better figures, it's hard to tell.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
What I meant by that is that I'm pretty sure SRB would be walking away if this wasn't looking at least SOMEWHAT promising, and needing additional capital because oil's more expensive than planned isn't unrealistic.

That being said, 80% loads aren't the end-all, be-all- how are they getting there? The old "we lose money on each sale, but make up for it in volume" way of doing it? Without better figures, it's hard to tell.
Based on the quote that they will be profitable next year, it doesn't seem likely that they are "making it up in volume".
Old Oct 3, 2008, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I'm not accusing the gentleman of lying, but without DOT data or SEC requirements to publicly report (since they are not publicly traded), we're sort of left to take him at his word. It would be nice if it wasn't quite like that. Also, projections are just that.

But that being said, again, I doubt SRB is stupid enough to put good money after bad if VX was a complete trainwreck moneywise, and VX certainly is picking up good mindshare, so it doesn't seem completely implausible, either.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
I also don't think the airline would be investing money in renovating terminals/lounges at LAX and SFO if it didn't think it had a future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.