Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice: Earned Silver, but apparently didn't

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seeking advice: Earned Silver, but apparently didn't

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin America
Unhappy Seeking advice: Earned Silver, but apparently didn't

Hello there! I'm an occasional lurker and new to FlyerTalk so please forgive me if I don't follow proper protocols with this post. I'm looking for some advice from the FT/Elevate community.

For years I was bad at consistently traveling on a specific carrier and so I rarely ever earned status in a given year. In 2016, I got serious about my choices and selected Elevate based on my travel needs. The site indicated in several places that to achieve Silver, it takes 20,000 points OR 15 segments in a calendar year.

The way my travel worked out, I flew my 15th and 16th segments in early December 2016. I ended the year just short of 20,000 points but I didn't mind as I earned Silver on segments. The only problem is that VX never upped my status. It's mid January and I'm still at Elevate Red status.

I first contacted VX via web chat a week after my 15th segment. In the chat, the rep said something to the effect of "We're really backed up due to the holidays but it will eventually go through." I didn't buy it but said OK.

A few more weeks went by. I made a couple of calls and got nowhere with the phone reps. No one seemed to understand the airline's own rules. Early last week, I sent an email, figuring that might be worth trying. I got a reply saying they were investigating. Two days later, I got another reply saying that after investigation the rep agreed that I should be at Silver status and that she was sending a request to "headquarters." Two days later, I asked her again and she said that she was still waiting for a response from headquarters. Another week has passed since then.

I've already had to do 2 flights without being able to avail of my status benefits and at this point feel like I would have been better off on any other airline. I wonder if they just don't care given the impending Alaska merger? Anyone else have to deal with this type of situation and/or any advice on what I can do to get this resolved? Many thanks, in advance.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
You will likely just have to be patient and follow up periodically. Most of the phone agents are clueless and service levels have been terrible for nearly a year now. Eventually Alaska will take everything over and there may be more consistency but acquisitions are messy. There are a lot of moving parts and some of those parts are more efficient than others.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS
Welcome to Flyertalk!!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
I have been trying to get my 2 promo codes from 2016 for 3 months with no avail, so I feel your pain. So far I've used email, phone and the website tool. I'm thinking about trying twitter as they seem to actually have the power to do something. If I get somewhere I'll post back.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
I have been trying to get my 2 promo codes from 2016 for 3 months with no avail, so I feel your pain. So far I've used email, phone and the website tool. I'm thinking about trying twitter as they seem to actually have the power to do something. If I get somewhere I'll post back.
Not much point in going after those, they're useless now.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by cringle
Not much point in going after those, they're useless now.
Yes true, on my last request I also asked for a 90 day extension so I could actually use them. I'm sure I'll get them when they start serving ice water in hell. It's odd in that my other dealings with VX have been good but this issue they really struggle with.

Last year I status matched so this will be my first full year as VX gold. When does the "Welcome to VX Gold 2017" set of emails come out typically?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pcoll
Welcome to Flyertalk!!
Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Twitter is the only method I haven't tried. Let me know how that works out for you! I reached out again after another week of silence and was a little less polite. They once again apologized and said they are "asking headquarters" again and "marking as urgent." Considering this has dragged on over a month, I have my doubts about any sense of urgency.

If you are VX Silver, what status does that convert to under Alaska's plan? I got an invite for MVP so I'm wondering if I should just give up trying to get them to fix this mistake with my Silver and just start using Alaska MVP. But wondering if I would've been invited to convert to something higher on Alaska if VX had properly put me in Silver back in early Dec.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by telophaser
If you are VX Silver, what status does that convert to under Alaska's plan? I got an invite for MVP so I'm wondering if I should just give up trying to get them to fix this mistake with my Silver and just start using Alaska MVP. But wondering if I would've been invited to convert to something higher on Alaska if VX had properly put me in Silver back in early Dec.
VX Silver = AS MP MVP
VX Gold = AS MP MVP GOLD

FWIW I wrote a couple posts on cross benefits with AS and VX (as well as a lot of other people).

http://www.drd4sevenr.com/?p=4904#more-4904

Thanks - Jimmy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.