Wiki Posts
Search

Clarity on same day change chances

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Clarity on same day change chances

I am new to VX, always fly F and just given Gold Elevate.

I see that its possible to make a same day confirmed change to another earlier flight on VX on the day of the original flight.

Some places it says this can only be done at airport, but other posts describe also being able to do this on the Gold line by phone. Which is accurate?

Question: If I want to same day confirm, what are the chances of this happening since beginning T-24 hours, people can purchase F upgrades. It would seem to be offered in a way that sells out remaining F inventory. If true, how can I do a same day change at or near the same T-24 hour mark to be able to switch to another flight knowing it may still have seats?

Any advice, especially from those with first hand experience, is greatly appreciated.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cyber1k
I am new to VX, always fly F and just given Gold Elevate.

I see that its possible to make a same day confirmed change to another earlier flight on VX on the day of the original flight.

Some places it says this can only be done at airport, but other posts describe also being able to do this on the Gold line by phone. Which is accurate?

Question: If I want to same day confirm, what are the chances of this happening since beginning T-24 hours, people can purchase F upgrades. It would seem to be offered in a way that sells out remaining F inventory. If true, how can I do a same day change at or near the same T-24 hour mark to be able to switch to another flight knowing it may still have seats?

Any advice, especially from those with first hand experience, is greatly appreciated.
You can make same day changes on phone - standby is free or confirmed is $25. All subject to availability in your ticketed class.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by SFGuy37
You can make same day changes on phone - standby is free or confirmed is $25. All subject to availability in your ticketed class.
My experience as well. I have done it on the phone, as well as at the airport. The safety factor comes in where seats go under airport control and at you are at the airport, the agents there have a more realistic view of inventory and standby passengers.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: AS 75K
Just as clarification, the same-day confirmed changes must happen on the same day (12:01am onward), which means that the earlier your flight is, the higher the likelihood that F is sold out by that 12:01am mark.

The good news is that F upgrades are only purchasable by Silver and Gold elites up until 6 hours prior to departure, at which point anybody can purchase the upgrade. Furthermore, if you're already checked in, you have to call to upgrade (you can no longer do it online), which means that a large number of Main Cabin passengers will never see an option to upgrade because they check in between T-24 and T-6.

So, all that to say, there's usually a seat or two left in F up until the flight goes to airport control (and they begin selling them at the gate). I think your chances are solid.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesreggio
Just as clarification, the same-day confirmed changes must happen on the same day (12:01am onward), which means that the earlier your flight is, the higher the likelihood that F is sold out by that 12:01am mark.

The good news is that F upgrades are only purchasable by Silver and Gold elites up until 6 hours prior to departure, at which point anybody can purchase the upgrade. Furthermore, if you're already checked in, you have to call to upgrade (you can no longer do it online), which means that a large number of Main Cabin passengers will never see an option to upgrade because they check in between T-24 and T-6.

So, all that to say, there's usually a seat or two left in F up until the flight goes to airport control (and they begin selling them at the gate). I think your chances are solid.
Appreciate the guidance.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by SFGuy37

Keep in mind that it is only $25 for short haul flights and cost more for others. $35 for medium haul (example: SFO-DAL/ORD/DEN) and $50 for long haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.