Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Airplane makes precautionary landing at Mitchell (KMKE) after crew reports 'odd smell

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airplane makes precautionary landing at Mitchell (KMKE) after crew reports 'odd smell

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

http://www.jrn.com/tmj4/news/Airplan...297792881.html

A Virgin America flight made a precautionary landing at General Mitchell International Airport Friday morning after the crew reported an "odd smell" on board.
Probably won't see scheduled service at MKE for quite some time, but it would be nice.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:17 am

Ouch. I hope it wasn't another one of those poop flights.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:11 pm

Virgin America I think could possibly be interested in offering some flights from MKE in the future as to come to think of it. But as of right now that's a pretty rare sight for MKE. But if Virgin America would have flights from MKE, the only flights they'd have go to are SFO and LAX. It would all depend on how full the Southwest flights to those places are from MKE.

It would be like if Sprit starting having flights from MKE-FLL competing with Southwest for their flights. Only problem is that Southwest doesn't serve flights on that route in the late summer and early fall so it would be most likely a seasonal route. I personally wouldn't fly Spirit in the first place but if Spirit had any flights from MKE, one of the flights would be FLL for sure.

Last edited by MKEflyer95; Mar 30, 2015 at 6:59 am
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Probably won't see scheduled service at MKE for quite some time, but it would be nice.
Oh would that be delightful, I say as a native cheesehead.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by MKEflyer95
Virgin America I think could possibly be interested in offering some flights from MKE in the future as to come to think of it. But as of right now that's a pretty rare sight for MKE. But if Virgin America would have flights from MKE, the only flights they'd have go to are SFO and LAX. It would all depend on how full the Southwest flights to those places are from MKE.
I think VX could pull a lot of business away from Southwest, and might be able to expand the market by attracting well-healed types from the suburbs north of Chicago. For many of them, the time between stepping out of their door to entering airport security is about a wash with MKE, ORD and MDW. There isn't much traffic as they head north on I-94, and with MKE they can park and walk a short distance to the terminal.

Midwest Express {sob} used to get lots of business from this market back in the day.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by dhuey
Midwest Express {sob} used to get lots of business from this market back in the day.
You might be onto something. MKE has been really brutalized in terms of O&D availability since F9 decimated the YX network and WN retrenched FL's. If the market has indeed over-corrected, there could be an opening for VX to fill a certain niche. WN did retain MKE-SFO/LAX, but who knows...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
WN did retain MKE-SFO/LAX, but who knows...
I'm thankful there is still a nonstop, SFO-MKE. It used to be seasonal service on Midwest Express, and for a few years there was no nonstop. I've flown on these Southwest flights; it seems like they're doing very well with them. There might be room for another nonstop on VX, especially if they can add some of those north-of-Chicago types to the market. Some of them might be willing to fly in full fare F to SFO and LAX. Probably a lot of frustrated United 1Ks in that mix.

Last edited by dhuey; Mar 31, 2015 at 11:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.