Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Only refundable F available?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:25 pm

Every single day from end of schedule mid-Jan 2016 back 3 months (and more) is D0 for LAX-DAL. This includes busy holidays and dead travel seasons of late Oct & early Nov. Something is different in the past few weeks. It can't be the intent for VX to offer no D inventory for months & months on seemingly every route in the back half of the schedule. If that were the intent, it would be easier to just file higher D fares.

Last edited by Colin; Feb 17, 2015 at 9:49 pm
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Just got an SFO/ORD RT for August for a few $ short of $1000. It was over double and I was considering other options. So maybe they're loading a bit of sanity into the schedule.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 3:28 am

The flight I'm looking at in May has every seat available in F yet still crazy prices. Would I be right in presuming at some point they will offer the seats discounted?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Only refundable F available?

I just booked sfo/ord in July for $990ish in First, but only because ual and aa were higher in cost. VX schedule worked better for my family.

I still haven't flown VX since 2009 but I have fantasies that they are better in First for food and service than aa and ual. The seat seems mostly similar on these airbus / 737/757 planes.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gaobest
I just booked sfo/ord in July for $990ish in First, but only because ual and aa were higher in cost. VX schedule worked better for my family.

I still haven't flown VX since 2009 but I have fantasies that they are better in First for food and service than aa and ual. The seat seems mostly similar on these airbus / 737/757 planes.
The VX F seat is much much much better than the AA/UA 2 cabin F seats. The actual meal itself is generally but not always better. But there's always an array of snacks (and light meals) from the main cabin selection available for the asking, along with a much more interesting beverage selection.

After booking my SFO/ORD, the fare went back up to the $1K+ each way, so it looks like they are currently loading one 'cheap seat' at a time.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I've just checked again and fares in October are now less than 50% than last week and back to what they were before.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The VX F seat is much much much better than the AA/UA 2 cabin F seats. The actual meal itself is generally but not always better. But there's always an array of snacks (and light meals) from the main cabin selection available for the asking, along with a much more interesting beverage selection.

After booking my SFO/ORD, the fare went back up to the $1K+ each way, so it looks like they are currently loading one 'cheap seat' at a time.
I've noticed the same for SFO-LAS flights. Smaller amounts of money, but the same concept -- seats start out expensive, then move to the cheap bucket one at a time.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:49 pm

Looking at LAX-DAL, I am now seeing more generous discount C and deep-discount D inventory through 18 NOV 2015, which is exactly 9 months out.

From 19 NOV 2015 onwards, there is no C or D inventory.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by chistery
I've just checked again and fares in October are now less than 50% than last week and back to what they were before.
Same here. I was looking at DAL-DCA in June and for the last couple months First was $1,100ish (only refundable). Checked again yesterday and 1 non-refundable First seat was available for about $500. I know the seat map isn't a completely accurate way to determinable whats been sold, but all seats were available.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked a flight where the deepest-discount F fare was available, and only refundable MC and MCS seats were available. F was cheapest by a wide margin, and, when I selected my seat, no other F seats were taken.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:54 pm

Looking to book MCO to LAX in late November and there is nothing under $832! Surely the won't fill the plane at that price. My preference is to fly VX, but at that price I'm having to look at AA. Their prices are starting to rise, so not sure how long I can hold out for a decent fare before I bight the bullet on another airline.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by mickeyd78
Looking to book MCO to LAX in late November and there is nothing under $832! Surely the won't fill the plane at that price. My preference is to fly VX, but at that price I'm having to look at AA. Their prices are starting to rise, so not sure how long I can hold out for a decent fare before I bight the bullet on another airline.

Just wait it out. Fares fluctuate (in both directions) all the time, on both VX and AA. Just because AA fares are rising now doesn't mean they'll stay high.

If you're hoping to fly in late November, wait a few months to buy your ticket. There's absolutely no benefit to buying it now unless you see an ultra-low fare. The best F prices are easiest to find 3-6 weeks out.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: QF Gold Virgin Aus Plat
Originally Posted by mickeyd78
I am looking for the the reverse of this LAX to MCO in december . my date is fixed so have my hands tied a bit, but the VX prices at the moment are sky high . can get 1 seat in MCS for 353 but when I go to get 2 price jumps to $854 each! First is $1495 for 1 seat and $1748 EACH when you want two seats. doesn't seem to change much when I look at dates close out either, at least not when you are buying more than 1 seat.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by doczim
I am looking for the the reverse of this LAX to MCO in december . my date is fixed so have my hands tied a bit, but the VX prices at the moment are sky high . can get 1 seat in MCS for 353 but when I go to get 2 price jumps to $854 each! First is $1495 for 1 seat and $1748 EACH when you want two seats. doesn't seem to change much when I look at dates close out either, at least not when you are buying more than 1 seat.
Just wait, I assure you they'll come down. Buy them one at a time if you need to, and reprice them of you see an (even better) price in the future.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand why you would buy tickets for a flight in December now. Buying now is going to be more expensive than buying closer to the travel date for any airline.

But, yeah if you're not willing to wait for a good deal, then you are going to overpay. That's true with pretty much anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.