Search

VX Status points reset?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pds_SFO
If you read the terms on vx.com:

"Plus, make your status points go even further, and jump start the new year by carrying forward any additional status points you’ve earned above the annual qualification requirement."

"The Elevate status qualification year begins on January 1 and ends on December 31. If the Status Points posted to your Elevate account in any qualification year exceed your earned status threshold, the Status Points will be applied to the following year's status qualification. Status Points are not redeemable for Reward Travel."

Both above suggest that if you didn't earn 20K for Silver by 12/31, then nothing will carry over as you have no status points earned 'above the annual qualification requirement' in the year
1. That's not how I interpret that statement.

2. Even if you are correct, my point is still valid. It's better to be 1 flight short of gold than just barely gold (since you will carry over 29k+ status pts in exchange for being silver instead of gold for just one flight)
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I think cringle is assuming that one doesn't have the credit card while we're all assuming that one does, in fact, have the card.

Edit: I just checked, and LAX-MCO posted. That puts me at 18,005 status points...which means that I should end up going over the top for Silver either (A) when my next CC statement comes in or (B) in early February (when I'm flying out west again).
Unless if you've spent $10k in the past month, I don't think that the CC gets you there. I think that statements that post in 2015 count towards the 2015 year of spending.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Unless if you've spent $10k in the past month, I don't think that the CC gets you there. I think that statements that post in 2015 count towards the 2015 year of spending.
I actually did so in the five weeks I had the card in 2014...but over half of that was simply dumping a quarterly tax payment I had to deal with onto it. Have I mentioned how much estimated taxes suck?

(On the bright side, as long as I can find a reasonably-priced payment processor...there are some that seem to come in around 1.87%, which is safely below the effective value of either VX or Amtrak points...when I start dealing with those payments again in the future I should be able to dump all of them onto one of several cards; in practice will mean either my Amtrak card or my Virgin card.)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:41 pm

In a surprise turn of events, my status points counter reset to zero. It looks like my excess points above silver did not roll.

Looks like a call to VX next week.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In a less surprising turn of events, so did mine.

I was Gold (status-matched) with 25k status pts so this is what I expected.

Actually I wasn't even really status matched to Gold; I was status matched to Silver and upgraded to Gold after I emailed them and asked for it. As long as my status doesn't drop, I'm fine with it. I have no idea what they have me down for in their system. My renewal date is showing as 1/1/16, although I'm not sure if that's meaningful (my renewal date was 1/1/15 even before I had completed the challenge)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Mine reset to 0 as well. I'll be calling tomorrow as well, given that I should have a bare minimum of about 3000 points (flights on 1/1 and 1/2) which got improperly swept.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Mine cleared too (no surprises), but I'll be calling tomorrow as well because the Feel the Earn promo wasn't properly applied to my account. Despite all the FTE flights counting toward status (and MCS/F bonuses), the base points should have qualified me for a new tier and thus 5,000 status points. Those 5K status points never posted, and left unfixed, I'd be 3.5K status points short of gold.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:10 pm

The crux of my call is going to be the points from the trips over the last week, but I'm going to make a secondary point on two other shortcomings:
(1) The "extra points roll over" bit from the credit card. The T&C seem to make it clear that extra points for whatever tier (Red, Silver, and Gold alike) would roll over, not just any surplus on Gold. I can be a bit understanding here, but even if it is just supposed to be the CC points (5000 tier points), that's still a decent number (and it translates into 1250 points if I make Silver or 6250 if I make Gold this year). If it's the full 18,005...well, 4500/22000 is a lot of points.
(2) I've got a friend who I referred in on the "Loyalty Made Me Do It" offer. He took a flight in First in December. Normally I'd give VX another month to sort this out, but I intend to raise this in my call since I'm short 7500 points because of it (and IMHO $150 in points is a valid matter to bring up). Said friend is also 7500 short, I believe.

Basically, by the end of the year I'm reasonably hoping to have Gold...but there's room for this whole mess to end up shorting me as much as 30,000 points in total.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 5:40 pm

Ok, I called Virgin and they said that they are having "technical issues" (I'm guessing a botched end-of-year turnover of status point levels) that led to all Status Points being wiped and that the issue should be dealt with in a day or two.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I suspected that something like that was going on...
Old Jan 9, 2015, 10:26 am

Just a thought: I saw that Aegean was having issues with a similar status point wipe of their own. Given that almost all of the airlines use points.com, I wonder if it might not be an issue on their end and not Virgin's end. Does anyone know if there's a more widespread issue at hand?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic
Anything new on this?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My status pts appear to be correct, assuming that I have no rollover pts. I have status pts from my 1/5 flight.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:28 pm

Mine is still messed up. There is an entry adding a status point but it doesn't reflect on the counter.

It looks like they are working on it so I'll wait a week or so to let things settle before calling.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Mine is still messed up. There is an entry adding a status point but it doesn't reflect on the counter.

It looks like they are working on it so I'll wait a week or so to let things settle before calling.
Good answer. I'll wait at least a week. In the meanwhile, I'm sure things are more accurate if you check your account on the app.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.