Wiki Posts
Search

I need help with points, family death.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: virgin america elevate points
I need help with points, family death.

Is there a way to get 4000 points by Saturday 12/20/2014? I need to get a RT flight, death in the family. I tried the Virgin America Credit Card but to no luck. Can someone point me in another direction?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikedanderson
Is there a way to get 4000 points by Saturday 12/20/2014? I need to get a RT flight, death in the family. I tried the Virgin America Credit Card but to no luck. Can someone point me in another direction?
Other than buying them, probably not. Unfortunately the 70% bonus just ended. I would not suggest buying pts for full price -- it's a terrible deal. You are better off saving your points and paying for the flight.

You could also call VX and ask if they offer bereavement fares.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VX Gold, HHonors Gold
upto 70% bonus still active today

The buy points bonus (up to 70%) is still active today - last day

https://www.virginamerica.com/elevat...uy-gift-points
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The email they sent me said that the last day was Dec 12
Old Dec 19, 2014, 1:15 am

Ask someone to transfer to you? It's $0.01/point. I'd do it but my portal points haven't posted yet.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
You could use points one way and pay cash the other (or indeed pay cash for one leg and use points on a multi-city the rest of the way if you aren't checking bags). Without knowing your city pairs, I can't give better advice.

Edit: If you can shake out a cheaper fare, the points cost drops...and it's quite possible to find oddball routings that would be cheaper than a direct flight. I'm sure a lot of us would be happy to help in a number of ways on this front.

Also keep in mind that as far as I know, on Virgin two one-way fares are the same price as a round trip...so you could book your outbound now with points and deal with your return later.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:28 am
Community Director Emerita

I wish the OP the best, both in travel and in the sad reason for the travel. I appreciate the various suggestions that have been made and hope he finds them of help. I think we've exhausted what we can suggest, and will go ahead and close the thread.

SanDiego1K
Community Director

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.