Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Priority order within status level for MCS upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist

I tried searching but couldn't find any threads that talked about what I'd think would be a very basic question: for people within a given status level, what determines the order in which upgrades to MCS clear? On some airlines (e.g. Delta) fare affects priority, others (e.g. American), it is just the order in which people request the upgrade. If anyone has any idea how this works on VX, the info would be much appreciated. I am about to fly my first flight as VX Silver and curious about how to maximize the odds of an upgrade in the future...
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
First, upgrades are not automatic. You need to put it in your profile. As for the order, good question. I am on VX tomorrow out SFO and will ask the on duty manager. Staff in SFO are generally terrific.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ptownca
First, upgrades are not automatic. You need to put it in your profile. As for the order, good question. I am on VX tomorrow out SFO and will ask the on duty manager. Staff in SFO are generally terrific.
Yes, I called and found that out. So I am on the list for my flight tomorrow. The agent told me that the order was based on when you requested the upgrade, but she seemed quite unsure about it, hence my question here.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
When I was in SFO, the agent told me first, even if seats are available, not all of them are available for a free upgrade.

They will hold some open for paid upgrades. If only one is free, it might be held until the gate staff clear it just before departure.

She indicated priority is based on Elevate status and fare. So, someone on a full Y fare and Silver might get it before a gold on a discounted ticket.

On short flights like SFO-SEA or SFO-LAX, the upgrade is cheap, like $39 usually. If an aisle in row 3 is available, I'll usually grab it.

Hope that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.