Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need 14,000 points - What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Need 14,000 points - What are my options?

OK I need 14,000 points in addition to what I have. What is the best way to go about getting those points?

- I have no plans to fly to earn points between now and when I need them.

- I don't have the VX CC because I can't get approved (even though I had the old Barclays CC with an $8000 limit).

When does VX usually have their point purchase bonuses? Is that just once a year?

Also, is there a place where I can purchase points from people and have them transfer them to my account at a discount?

Any other options here?

Ethan
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:48 pm

Sounds like you're stuck.

Seems like they're almost always having promotions that award status points, but you'd have to fly to get those. No other way to get them other than the methods you mentioned. You can't do any bulk transfers of points and have them increase your balance.

You might look into their status match promotion, but if you aren't planning on flying, you probably wouldn't meet the challenge at the end of the 90 days. A lot of people just do that to try the airline out.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 4:30 pm

For 14,000 points, how much airfare does this equate to?

The only solution I have would be to apply for a new travel rewards CC that gets you close to that fare $
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:26 pm

Any of your friends flying soon? VX is allowing current Elevate members to invite friends to join the program, after their first flight both parties get 2500 points if the new member flys coach, 5000 points for coach+ and 7500 points for F ticket. Unlimited invitations, maybe you can piggyback off someone elses trip? GL
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:31 pm

you can also use a middleman type service to convert you existing United points to Elevate:

http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-....html?id=17201

Note, in your case, you'll need 2 middleman type services b/c United is a bit disjointed from the broader group.

Elevate is part of Points.com, the easiest and broadest online exchange (also free if you're exchanging within your own accounts), but it doesn't allow United to exchange in this service. So you need to use another middleman like Diner's Club to convert United into US Airways or the like, which then can be used to exchange into Elevate at Points.com

You also have to note, these exchanges are not always point for point (even though there is not out of pocket fees), but on the monetary value, you give up a bit of value upon each exchange transaction:

Case in point, if I exchange US Airways miles for Elevate, I have to give up 5565 US Air points to get 1000 Elevate points. Converting points to dollars, I am effectively exchanging $112 worth of US Airways fare for $50 of Virgin fare based on each respective airline's points to dollars conversion and this exchange rate. Make sense?

Finally,

On points.com, they also offer peer-to-peer exchanges, but it costs a fee, and often what you get in return are horrible results, often netting to $0 or losses when you covert points to dollars. There are offers to get 500 virgin points in exchange for X airline miles, but it also costs $50 of fees in some cases. 500 Elevate points= $13 in Virgin airfare; so you're giving up airline miles, and paying $50 to get $13 of airfare...not a good deal. But people who offer exchanges are asking and offering exactly what they need and what they are willing to give up...so you need to counteroffer with your own exchange bid. Fees are standardized by points.com and paid on both sides of the transaction.

read the article, and do the math beforehand.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Why on earth do you need 14,000 VX points?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by cringle
Sounds like you're stuck.

Seems like they're almost always having promotions that award status points, but you'd have to fly to get those. No other way to get them other than the methods you mentioned. You can't do any bulk transfers of points and have them increase your balance.

You might look into their status match promotion, but if you aren't planning on flying, you probably wouldn't meet the challenge at the end of the 90 days. A lot of people just do that to try the airline out.
My initial answer assumed you meant 14k status points. Just realized you didn't say that.....sorry...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.