Search

Cancel/ miss segment

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MP, Virgin America Elevate, JetBlue TrueBlue
Cancel/ miss segment

Hello,

Does anyone have experience cancelling or missing a segment of a one-stop itinerary? My plans have changed a bit and I'd now like to spend a day in the city where my connection is, but the cost of changing flights is prohibitive (I can buy a separate ticket to the final destination, but I don't want to pay the change fee + fare difference to go on the same flight to the connecting city in order to make that the final destination on my outbound segment). I assume I won't be able to just cancel the second segment, but has anyone had experience doing this successfully? I booked the itinerary as a round trip and this segment is on my outbound flight; would my return be cancelled if I just missed the second segment?

Thanks for any tips!
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You must fly all segments in the order booked. If you skip any one segment, the remainder will be auto-cancelled. Whether those remaining segments have any value and how much value that is will be dependent on the specific fare rules for your ticket.

Bottom line is that doing what you propose will mean something between having to purchase a OW back home and having somewhere from zero to something.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:34 pm

To be clear..

For example: JFK - SFO - LAX

You wanna now stay in SFO? As long as you don't have a return trip on the same reservation, it's not a big deal. If you no show for a segment it forfeits the return as well. So if you just have one connecting trip and you take the first segment, not a big deal.. You won't be getting "your money's worth" cause you paid for a connection but they can't force you to take the 2nd flight. Hehe
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ILoveVX
To be clear..

For example: JFK - SFO - LAX

You wanna now stay in SFO? As long as you don't have a return trip on the same reservation, it's not a big deal. If you no show for a segment it forfeits the return as well. So if you just have one connecting trip and you take the first segment, not a big deal.. You won't be getting "your money's worth" cause you paid for a connection but they can't force you to take the 2nd flight. Hehe
OP expressly says that he booked his ticket as a round-trip. Why mislead him?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MP, Virgin America Elevate, JetBlue TrueBlue
Thanks for the clarification all. I thought I remembered that at some point VX's reservation system viewed everything as one way and therefore might work differently from legacy carriers (where I am aware that missing a segment is a definite no-no). But I think that was just wishful thinking. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.