Wiki Posts
Search

VX out of PHL - fall flights gone

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
VX out of PHL - fall flights gone

I've been checking prices for my fall trips to SFO and now it looks like the flights stop after Oct 10....its not just to SFO either its all flights out of PHL. Is VX pulling out of PHL or are they just revamping the schedule? I use them for all my business travels from PHL to the west coast and would hate to lose them. Anyone hear anything? I know they've gradually been reducing the amount of flights in and out and with the addition of other cities to their schedule I hope they're not leaving.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:48 am

They are suspending service out of PHL as of 10-06 and shuffling other routes to free up planes for service to DAL.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Are you serious? VX's unpredictable schedule is getting to be really annoying. I know they are a small airline, but it's hard to support them when they are constantly dropping cities and "rerouting their schedule to focus" on other cities. Either buy/lease more planes, or don't put so much on your plate.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:23 am

Not surprising I was a little early in calling the Exit for VX but it came eventually. I was surprised to see SJC cut before PHL/PDX but it was evident those 3 cities were on the chopping block as the demand clearly was not there. With only 2 daily departures after 5-6pm Local in PHL it doesnt cater to anyone besides local traffic to SFO/LAX. It gets in too late to accomplish anything without spending the night and offer zero connection opportunity to SEA/PDX/LAS/SAN because the flights just get in too late. Ive said it before and I will say it again. PHL may have eventually happened but It wouldnt have happened when it did and it surely wouldnt be served at this time by VX either if VX had gotten into EWR sooner.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:47 am

I'm so disappointed they've all but dropped out of PDX. I know Alaska is tough competition, but I wonder how hard VX tried in Portland. The only advertising I saw for them was one billboard. I don't think anyone in Portland knows they exist.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:50 am

Also, is Palm Springs gone? I don't see any fall flights.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Are they suspending PHL service (until they get more planes in 2015) or are they quietly dropping PHL service (to be replaced with other service upon the 2015 deliveries)?

Why the f*** are they recruiting for airport teammate positions? "Here's a part-time job for a few months, it doesn't pay well and ends soon but hope you like it!"?

https://www.virginamerica.apply2jobs...owJob&RID=1446

No wonder why the checkin folks always get confused and have to call Ops when I ask to do same day confirmed changes, add clubhouse access, etc. If i was part-time for limited months, I'd DGAF and ask for help with everything too!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
I guess I should plan a trip with my miles before then since Newark is almost 2 hrs from me and I really don't want to drive that far every time I need to fly.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Originally Posted by SocalApproach
Not surprising I was a little early in calling the Exit for VX but it came eventually. I was surprised to see SJC cut before PHL/PDX but it was evident those 3 cities were on the chopping block as the demand clearly was not there. With only 2 daily departures after 5-6pm Local in PHL it doesnt cater to anyone besides local traffic to SFO/LAX. It gets in too late to accomplish anything without spending the night and offer zero connection opportunity to SEA/PDX/LAS/SAN because the flights just get in too late. Ive said it before and I will say it again. PHL may have eventually happened but It wouldnt have happened when it did and it surely wouldnt be served at this time by VX either if VX had gotten into EWR sooner.
VX is not cutting PDX. Check your sources. Just reducing frequency. PDX-SFO still for sale through the end of schedule.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by StuartPDX
Also, is Palm Springs gone? I don't see any fall flights.
Palm Springs is seasonal.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by bayhouse
Are they suspending PHL service (until they get more planes in 2015) or are they quietly dropping PHL service (to be replaced with other service upon the 2015 deliveries)?
They are calling it a suspension not a withdrawal, though they've made no promise about when/if service may begin again (so it could end up being a de facto withdrawal down the road).

I can't blame them for jumping on the (rare) opportunity to get access to LGA, DCA, and DAL slots/gates, even though it means some awkward shuffling for now.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by mr27
Palm Springs is seasonal.
Isn't November part of the season? That's what I'm looking for.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:37 pm

PSP service is seasonal. It runs Dec - Apr.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:42 pm

Sure is. Palm Springs service runs from 10/11/13 to 4/30/14 according to the
VX site. Though it doesn't seem to show a schedule for this October
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
VX is not cutting PDX. Check your sources. Just reducing frequency. PDX-SFO still for sale through the end of schedule.
Well, they're down to one flight a day when UA & AS offer multiple flights so for many people out there, they may as well have cut PDX as their schedule doesn't really make them a feasible option. It's a shame as they are a pretty good airline (esp. for North American standards) but it's certainly difficult to support them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.