Happy full year of profit, VX!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Happy full year of profit, VX!

http://www.virginamerica.com/press-r...13-profit.html

Took, what, 3 quarters of a billion or so to get there?

From the press release...

The airline's total order with Airbus remains at 40 A320-Family aircraft, with five scheduled for delivery in the second half of 2015, five in the first half of 2016, and 30 scheduled for delivery starting in 2020.
If you figure that DCA+LGA+DAL will soak up a decent amount of that new capacity (if not all of it), it looks like they won't be getting much bigger for a while (2020).
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
The strategy of solidifying performance of their existing routes has worked; it's nice to see it generating net income. (I wonder if it's generating free cash flow; I assume so, but they don't show their balance sheet.)

I'm glad they're taking new planes next year, but only five, and only in the second half. So much will happen between now and July 2015... let's hope oil doesn't hit $200 a barrel. 2020 is effectively "forever" away. So our nice little airline is going to stay little for another six years. I guess that's fine.

(Requisite rant: Now if they'd stop doing silly things like trying to make SJC-LAX work... jeez. Glad they got over that. Those planes could be a lot more profitable if we had a third SFO-BOS leg! A 319 would be just fine... I have to fly UA to depart for Boston in the afternoons, yuk.)

Congrats to the entire VX team.

-tpc
Old Mar 28, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
The strategy of solidifying performance of their existing routes has worked; it's nice to see it generating net income. (I wonder if it's generating free cash flow; I assume so, but they don't show their balance sheet.)

I'm glad they're taking new planes next year, but only five, and only in the second half. So much will happen between now and July 2015... let's hope oil doesn't hit $200 a barrel. 2020 is effectively "forever" away. So our nice little airline is going to stay little for another six years. I guess that's fine.

(Requisite rant: Now if they'd stop doing silly things like trying to make SJC-LAX work... jeez. Glad they got over that. Those planes could be a lot more profitable if we had a third SFO-BOS leg! A 319 would be just fine... I have to fly UA to depart for Boston in the afternoons, yuk.)

Congrats to the entire VX team.

-tpc
The whole reason they're making money is because they aren't spending so much buying new planes. I'm guessing they hope UA/AA/DL are gonna suck so much by 2020 that people will pay more of a premium to fly VX and they can make money while buying new planes

Also, I can't imagine they would start that without SJC providing some sort of subsidy. Prices were usually $59-$69 and I have never seen more than 75 passengers on the flight. But SJC is really trying to re-attract service after AA ditched them a while back. It was quite publicized how much of a subsidy SJC provided NH, but it seems SJC-NRT might actually be working, as loads seem high and prices high too.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
When they will resume a new city & a new specific routes?

Will they move up the A320neo delivery in year of 2020 to 2015?
Old Mar 29, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Awesome! Congrats to VX and it's employees, whoever is reading this. Keep up the award winning pampering and I will keep spending money with you guys ;-)
Old Mar 30, 2014, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by N830MH
Will they move up the A320neo delivery in year of 2020 to 2015?
Probably not. Why should they?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.